1999 E38 728i, URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!!!! Wipers stopped working on Motorway today. - Page 2

Notices

Thread: 1999 E38 728i, URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!!!! Wipers stopped working on Motorway today.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    e38rulez's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    728i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I know!!! I emailed the administrator earlier today, have heard nothing. I'll try and send it via the inbox. Hang on...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    danidge's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i + cbr1000rr
    Year of Manufacture:
    98 + 04
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    personally i think its your motor. you will only really be able to tell when it stops working again though.
    you should be able to hear the relays click if they are working properly.
    next timee it stops... (if it does)
    see if they are clicking and check for power at the plug that plugs into the motor.
    tapping the motor might bring it back to life too which would point towards faulty contacts in the motor.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    e38rulez's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    728i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I've considered the wiper motor angle, but I'm going with the relay first, there was a bulletin released back in the day and I've talked to enough people to believe it's the relay most likely.

Try the picture now below:
    Attached Images

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    scottjoh's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I worked on a E38 a little while ago where the box had partially filled with water. Yes, the cover was screwed on tight. Anyway the car came in for non-working wipers. The previous mechanic said it was the general module (GM3) and refered the customer to me since GM3's and GM5's are my specialty. I told the owner that the general module just does not fail this way. I took the general module out and tested on my test bed and verified that the wiper outputs were working fine. The problem turned out to be water at the bottom of the box has corroded and destroyed all the connections to the wiper relay socket.

You should be able to slide the two upper module out without removing the connectors and gain access to the relay. Unhook the socket and check the wires going into the back.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    755munich's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    728i/540i/525iiT
    Year of Manufacture:
    '98/'94/'94
    Transmission Type:
    Both
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon & Touring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
    I worked on a E38 a little while ago where the box had partially filled with water. Yes, the cover was screwed on tight. Anyway the car came in for non-working wipers. The previous mechanic said it was the general module (GM3) and refered the customer to me since GM3's and GM5's are my specialty. I told the owner that the general module just does not fail this way. I took the general module out and tested on my test bed and verified that the wiper outputs were working fine. The problem turned out to be water at the bottom of the box has corroded and destroyed all the connections to the wiper relay socket.
    That's a good point. There have been several instances of this happening on other forums.The water seems to 'wick' along the wiring loom into the ECU box where it pools & causes all sorts of problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12