BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1999 E36 323i Convertible - no brake lights

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Assimilate 
#1 ·
Hi

Well, it's as the title - discovered last night that none of my brake lights are working.

I've checked the fuse this morning and it is fine (I've also swapped it for another fuse that I know is working, and still no joy).

I'm wondering if this is the continuation of an electrical problem that started a few weeks ago - I was driving home and the car developed a really annoying buzzing from under the bonnet. It turned out to be the headlight adjuster was malfunctioning.

When I took it to BMW they said it could either be the motor in the back of the headlight adjuster that has the problem - or it could be the wiring loom shorting out.

Now I've got this problem with the brake lights is that an indication of another problem with the loom?

I'm scuppered really - with no brake lights it's not safe (or legal) to drive the car.

Has anybody else had a similar problem?

I'm guessing replacing the loom would be horrendously expensive and a pig of a job???

See less See more
#3 ·
Could be the switch... You could try that first.

Failing that, I would go for the boot lid wiring next, as it's not the first electrical gremlin you've had !

Have a look at the boot lid, you'll see wiring going from the body to the lid - The wires under that sheething breaks up, and causes all sorts of problems.

If you do a search of the forum, you'll see a thread with a few photos from people.
I post a photo of mine, and about 90% of my wiring had broke !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.