Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi , I have been having problems with the alarm on my '99 323i. I'll give you a brief history.

- Couple of years back my alarm fob stopped working. Using your guide I have identified my fob as the 3G Mk2. I replaced battery but the fob still didn't work. Oh well, I decided to just use the key which has been fine up until recently.

- before Xmas opened the door with the key and the alarm went off! PITA so as I'm not technical I ignored it and used the other car over Xmas.

- after Xmas I opened the door to discover no alarm and a flat battery. Jump started the car and hooray no alarm. Brilliant!

- Now this is where I thought I'd be clever. Having read some of the previous threads I was convinced I could reprogramm the fob.

Removed glovebox. Found the alarm unit. Removed gromit and tried flicking the coding switch. As it was tricky to see the switch I may have flicked it back and forth several times. Anyhow the alarm went off!! Haven't been able to stop it since so I've disconnected the battery. Did try flicking the switch and pressing the fob a few times to see if reprogrammed but no luck.

The car still starts so I guess I could find and remove the alarm fuse or possibly disconnect the siren?

Would like to get the alarm working if possible. Grateful for any advice. Jas

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Jon Davies's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Imola Red Saloon
    Thanks
    I had exactly the same problem when I had my 1998 323i vert. I bit the bullet and took it to the dealers. They blamed the fob and supplied a new one and reprogrammed it to the car. Think it was about £100 notes all in.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    jmanik67's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanks Jon, I was hoping not to go to the dealers. If all else fails I may get a new fob if I can reprogram it myself.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    billywhizz1984's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i x 3, 325TDS x 1, 320i x 2, 318is x 1
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 x 2, 1998, 1997 x 2, 1996, 1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring x 4, Convertible x 2, Coupe x 1
    Images
    Thanks
    Is the battery inserted the right way? It's easy to get confused. My guide tells you the right polarity and the correct position of the coding switch. Try unplugging the module , reconnecting it and trying to reprogram. If all else fails get a fob off ebay and try that but be sure you are getting the right fob, even if the seller says it is for a BMW or an E36 don't trust them. Get them to send you a photo of the inside and compare it as detailed in my guide.