1999/2001?? E39 530D Offside sidelights/flashers operates intermittently when ignition is off

Notices

Thread: 1999/2001?? E39 530D Offside sidelights/flashers operates intermittently when ignition is off

Reply to Thread
  1. 1999/2001?? E39 530D Offside sidelights/flashers operates intermittently when ignition is off 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    DavidJWalker's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    On my 2001 530D Touring, the offside sidelights/flashers operates intermittently even the ignition is switched off and the car is locked.

When the ignition is on, the flashers operate intermittently, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for a few minutes. When the ignition is off, the OS side and tail lights exhibits similar behaviour, as though the flasher switch had been left in the 'right' position to use the parking lights (a thoroughly odious feature anyway - the number of flat batteries I've seen due to that is anybody's business).

This still occurs after removing the steering column trim and disconnecting the big plug and the little plug from the flasher switch, the small plug from the wiper switch and the small central plug that appears to connect the (M sport) steering wheel buttons. I have not yet tried unplugging the ignition switch module.

Also, when all the plugs are connected, the ignition is off and the headlamp flasher is operated, the dip(!) beams come on and stop on until the light switch is turned on and off again.

As the car stood for some time during the very cold snowy spell and the windows are tending to mist while the car is standing, I suspect damp has invaded a magic box of some description and a quick squirt of magic box reviver might be all it takes, but I have no idea which one - there seem to be far too many for my liking.

This is one of those faults that goes away for a bit when you fiddle with practically anything at all, and then, just when you think you've finally sorted it (even though you have no idea what whatever it is you fiddled with has to do with the problem) comes back again.

Although I have some expertise with auto electrics, this is beyond me, especially as I am currently condemned to working outdoors.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could shed light on this matter!

(There are a number of other electrical faults too, such as the tailgate, but this one is currently the most critical as it rapidly drains the battery while the car is standing for much more than a day or so.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Mostly Harmless's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I've never heard of anything like this personally, but if you could give us a summary of the other faults you are experiencing it may help by adding some more pieces to the puzzle..

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Where to start?

I think it's bewitched! The faults seem to change from day to day, you fix one, it just moves to somewhere else.

The tailgate, which ought to lift electrically, doesn't.

I had period of bother with the locking arrangement on the separately operating glass window on the tailgate, which decided it was going to sit there latching and unlatching itself and thus flatten the battery, careful closing ensuring it's fully shut fixes that.

The A/C appears to operate mostly only in cold weather, despite being recharged. Using a Bosch diagnostic system on a laptop the A/C generally claims the compressor clutch is inoperative, despite the compressor obviously engaging due to dectectable engine rev drop.

Sundry faults with the pixels on the LED displays, especially the heater control panel.

The external temperature currently reads +50.0 deg C at all times, I think the external sensor is defective/unplugged/missing. Am I right in believing that it lives somewhere under the O/S front wing, down low in front of the wheel behind a plastic cover?

Incidentally, concerning the temperature reading, it used to read +37.5 deg C until I discovered a small black box dangling on its wires behind the O/S inner front panel and clipped it back in its correct location on the rear of the radiator surround.

I'll post more faults as I remember them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Deano16v's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    745i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,001 Posts
    have a search for the ignition switch mate, it throws up lots of different electrical gremlins

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Thanks Deano.

I'll check that tomorrow.

Can it be got at without removing the steering wheel?