328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi..

I am really stuck and need some advice peeps. if possible.
    Right here's the problem.

I recently bought a E36 328i 4dr auto.. my second BM.. so far i am more than happy with it BUT.
    When i bought the car the guy that sold it said he had bought it himself with out the alarm key fob..
    So the first thing i did was to have a good read up on here and check all i needed to know about it before i attempted anything..
    So i bought a key fob from ebay for a tenner.(It appears to work and i replaced the battery ready to use).. the 2 button one with red and grey buttons on..
    Anyway i then proceded to take out the glove box and find the alarm unit to try and pair the two together.. sounded quite simple and had a copy of the PDF with me just incase i got stuck..
    So i unbolted the modual and then closed all the doors on the car, sat there and removed the receiver modual from the unit and the car then locked as it stated it would, the LED on the console was flashing intermitently , i switched the switch over to learn the new fob in.. no problem.. plugged the reciever back in and the doors unlocked.. tried the fob Nothing happened..?? repeated the process and still nothing..?? now when i lock the car from the drivers door the boot will neither lock or unlock but all the doors will lock as they always did.... and i still dont have an alarm working..??

Any advice peeps i am lost now and i don't want to mess with it too much as i may bugger something and loose the use of my car..
    ??
    Any advice would be fantastic.. cheers..

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    addissan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I also forgot to mention, i have also checked the loom that runs from the boot lid and it's fine and i good condition just incase it was worn through in any places..
    I am well and truly stumped...

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    billywhizz1984's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i x 3, 325TDS x 1, 320i x 2, 318is x 1
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 x 2, 1998, 1997 x 2, 1996, 1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring x 4, Convertible x 2, Coupe x 1
    Images
    Thanks
    OK, sounds like you have read my guide....

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...3g-ews-t39173/

...but you don't remove the receiver to programme it, throw the switch, press button on fob, throw switch - that's all there is to it.

The boot has a valet mode as shown in this link, perhaps that is why it isn't opening (7th post down)...

1997 e36 316 boot locking

5. The Following User Says Thank You to billywhizz1984 For This Useful Post:

addissan (21-11-2010)

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    addissan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billywhizz1984 View Post
    OK, sounds like you have read my guide....

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...3g-ews-t39173/

...but you don't remove the receiver to programme it, throw the switch, press button on fob, throw switch - that's all there is to it.

The boot has a valet mode as shown in this link, perhaps that is why it isn't opening (7th post down)...

1997 e36 316 boot locking
    Ahh excellent, thanks for the reply.. i just put a meter on the battery that i bought for the new fob and it's only 8.4v so i will have to try and get a new one again, it's good that i don't have to remove the reciever to programme it..
    I don't have a valet key for the car and i am pretty sure that the boot was locking and unlocking with the central locking before i played with the alarm.. but i am not 100% of that.. i am going to try the fob again tomorrow but i am truely stumpped on the boot lock..

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    addissan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Excellent... it's now sorted... I got a new battery for the fob. undid the glove box and unbolted the alarm modual.. switched the switch through the little hole to the right and pressed the red button for around 3 seconds, the alarm then beeped 2 times and then locked the doors ( I had the doors closed all the time) put the switch back to the left and replaced the modual.. got out of the car and tried my new fob and whoo hoo it works... i still have the problam with the boot lock though so i will check the motor is working as the wireing seems to be fine and if need be then i will replace it..

Thanks peeps for the advice it's been great to be part of this forum and have really nice helpful people ..

Ohh while i am thinking of it.. i managed to get a complete pinout of the alarm and was working out what everything does, After reading the other article about resetting the alarm saying bridge the pins across to reset etc, i now know this is not really nessasary.
    If you need to reset the alarm, just removing and replacing the receiver modual part of the unit will do this and bridging the pins is likely to cause some damage or do nothing..
    Not sure if this has been posted before but i have pretty much all the alarm pin outs to share..
    Attached Images
    Attached Files

9. The Following User Says Thank You to addissan For This Useful Post:

billywhizz1984 (21-11-2010)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    billywhizz1984's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i x 3, 325TDS x 1, 320i x 2, 318is x 1
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 x 2, 1998, 1997 x 2, 1996, 1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring x 4, Convertible x 2, Coupe x 1
    Images
    Thanks
    Glad you got sorted.

As for bridging the pins it does depend on the fault as sometimes just removing & replacing the receiver isn't enough.

The idea of valet mode is that you deactivate the boot lock with your normal black master key then give the grey valet key to the garage / parking attendant. They will be able to drive and lock the car but the boot central locking is disabled and the valet key won't work the boot lock. Follow the instructions in the link with your normal black key and see if it solves it.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    addissan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billywhizz1984 View Post
    Glad you got sorted.

As for bridging the pins it does depend on the fault as sometimes just removing & replacing the receiver isn't enough.

The idea of valet mode is that you deactivate the boot lock with your normal black master key then give the grey valet key to the garage / parking attendant. They will be able to drive and lock the car but the boot central locking is disabled and the valet key won't work the boot lock. Follow the instructions in the link with your normal black key and see if it solves it.
    Cheers Chap, I have tried everything with the boot tonight and it won't open with the fob and the 2 master keys i have simply lock it or unlock it or completly lock it .. if you know what i mean... .. anyway i got to the end of my mellowness with it tonight and took the glove box out again... printed off a few copies of the wiring and set to work with my meter starting at the module under the glove box and working back to the car locking and unlocking with the fob, i have come to the conclusion that i need a actuator for the boot... there is a current right up to that point so conclusion is that it's seen better days.. So eBay is the best option and i will be on the look out for one over the next week..
    it's a work in progress but at least it's all experience i am gaining.. next is the M3 front bumper..