BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1998 E36 323i Please help!!! convertible roof wont open!!

35K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  new2bmir 
#1 ·
i was at the garage today when decided to put the roof down, everything worked till the roof cover didn't open.
Red light blinking on switch.
Pulled the red leaver.
Couldn't open the back cover!!!
So with the front folded up the back pushed down, and the switch then worked the front and closed to lock.

Couldnt put motor back in? I assume you have to do this with roof down.
But i cant get the back cover to open to put the roof down!!!???

Anyone know how i open the cover please???

I only bought this last tuesday and im feeling pretty gutted right now :(

When i push the button now i can hear some motor runing, and front comes un-hinge away from the windscreen as normal and that's it...

tunnel cover won't come lose, open trunk i see the 1st motor hanging down
try to push it in like you, didn't go in

Somebody help me!! :confused

Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
Top video amos.

i could have done with that 6 months ago....:rofl:rofl:rofl

better late than never tho..

#3 ·
the motor hanging down needs a dam hard shove back in mine did..

cant remember if it was with roof up or down tho.

do u have the owners manual it should say more in there..?

#10 ·
Thinking about it i cant remember if the boot was open when i pulled the red lever, do you think that would be an issue?

he seems to be pushing 2 motor in but i can only find the obvious one?
is that behind some bodywork on the left?
I can feel somethng there but nothing to push in, in any direction.
I just cant understand how to open the tunel cover to get the roof down in the first place??

Thanks for your help

#12 ·
well done mate.

happy motoring is resumed....

#13 ·
After taking boot cover out on the driver side of trunk, the motor for the cover is between the outer panel (inside of trunk) and the frame it is bolted to. You can not see the motor behind the frame. you can tell if it is disconnected or not by the tension on the two cables that work the latch for the cover. Watch the video below to see what I mean. I had to take a screw driver and PUSH HARD on the motor thru a slot in the frame. It actually made a POP noise when the motor came lose. The reason the motor will not just pop lose is because the cover latch cables are still pulled tight to hold the cover down. Once you figure that out, the rest is very easy to do. Good luck. I also have a fix for fixing the cable for the latches when they break. They are an easy fix too. $62.00 dollars for the short cable. I fixed mine for $22.00 for the parts and tool. Good Luck! new2bmir.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.