Model of Car:
    318 Ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    My gauges have all been working perfectly until a couple of days ago. I pushed the trip button to reset the mileage as I usually do when I fill up, and at exactly the same moment, both the fuel gauge and temperature gauges dropped to zero. Now the gauges work very rarely with the fuel generally reading empty (with fuel light on) and the temperature reading constantly at the very top of the red zone. The temperature gauge fluctuates between very hot or very cold sometimes, but never stays in the centre as it used to.

I have read in other posts that the fuel gauge sender wires can become brittle and snap, and I am yet to check them, but how is this affecting the temperature reading? Do they have a common earth or something that I should check?

Seems very odd that everything went wrong at the instant I pressed the trip counter, which is why I think the sender is probably ok.

Any help on this would be great, thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    You should try do a binnacle test first http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...nd-e46-t27446/

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    E36Coupe328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 958 Posts
    As above but as intermittant you will have to test when the fault is in evidence and preferable one when it is not. If gauges aren't reading and self test fails to move them then expect it to be internal to the cluster.

Pressing the trip sound significant as I used to press my dash around there and corners to get the gauges back on.

This thread may be helpful HERE

No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

Free Gas Kit* now fitted to free 328*

*Based on ROI period exceeded

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    jimherefordbmx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 Ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Cheers for the quick replies. I have been trying to make the self test work for ages and had no luck. There seem to be a few different descriptions for how to start the self test on various forums, and on here. I've tried all of them but cannot get the dial test to start. Also watched numerous youtube videos, but none have exactly the same clocks as my car.

When the trip button is held down, I go to the 2nd ignition click, the word 'TEST' appears for a second, but when I release the trip button nothing happens. If I click the trip button during the 1 second window while 'TEST' is displayed, I can cycle through the test numbers by clicking on the trip button. The first 6 tests show numbers, but the following tests (up to about 20) are blank. All of the videos posted online show the test numbers being cycled through automatically, and then the dial test starting automatically, but this is not the case on my car.

I have also tried the method where the trip button is held down for 30 seconds with ignition in off position, once the odometer lights go out the ignition is switched to the 1st click and then the trip button is released. This method didnt work either, did not even show the word 'TEST'. Also tried the method where you hold the button down while in ignition position 2, then switch down to position 1. Again, did not work.

If it makes any difference, my car has no MPG dial, and I have not seen a video of the sequence performed on a dashboard cluster which looks identical to mine. The car is a 318ti M-sport Compact if that makes any kind of difference.

Any more dial checking methods that anyone has heard of working? Anyone got the same clocks as me that could check how to do it on their car? Thanks

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Pretty sure I had trouble getting it to work the first couple of times, but it was just ignition off, and pull the key out as loads of other circuits don't cut till you do.

Put key in, don't turn, hold in button, turn to position 1 (air bag symbol lights briefly but not ignition lights) display changes, I didn't pay attention, then let go.

If it doesn't work I would be tempted to PM a couple of people on here with the same car as you...........

No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Any progress??

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 Ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    No not yet, still can't get it to self check dials... I don't get the airbag sign on the first ignition click, only on second. Think I'll pm someone else with my exact car! don't think its a blown fuse as the problem is intermittent. Both fuel and temp worked fine for the first couple of mins running yesterday. When I fix it I'll definitely post on here

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Yep blown fuses are never intermittant corroded or loose ones are a different matter.........

11. Same problem on BMW 520i 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    enosjohns's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    I have the same problem and have failed to find a working solution.
    Did you manage to sort your one out?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 Ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Think ive got it sorted, as usual its something really simple! Fuse number 46 was blown, I missed it the first time I did a check, but thought I better double check them all again. Now that ive changed the fuse the gauges are working fine again.
    Also, because 46 does the onboard computer, the automatic dial check now works too.
    Thanks for the help, should have just checked things properly the first time!

Still seems weird that the gauges worked ok on the first ignition click, and for about the first 30 seconds of running? Perhaps getting voltage from somewhere else initially?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast