Got a problem with the car.
Came out to start it yesterday, and it only had enough power to 'click' the starter once.
Checked the voltage accross the battery 9.6v :(
Was thinking ive had a drain ??.
Jumped the battery from another car and it statred straight up.
Took it for a 20min drive on the motorway, came home and it was ok. Went into the house to get ready for work, and 20min later its down at 10.5v and wont start. So used the mrs car to get to work.
Rechecked the battery today (24hr later) and its still at 10.5v so its not lost anymore over night.
Jumped the car, went for a drive, and took some readings.
At Idle with NO LOAD = 14v accross battery
2000-3000rpm with NO LOAD = 14v across battery still
Idle WITH Load = 13.3v across battery (demistter, lights, blowers, fogs etc)
2000-3000rpm WITH Load = 13.7v across battery (demistter, lights, blowers, fogs etc)
once i turn the car off + key out.
the voltage drops down to 12.6v after 30 seconds.
then after around 2 min its down at 12.4v
then after around 5 min its down at 12.2v
tested for a key off drain (removing negative terminal), and after the engine is off its pulling 200mA for around 10 seconds,
then drops to 130mA for about 3 mins,
then drops to 30mA for around 15min.
then drops and stays at 5mA.
if i quickly pull fuse 31 and put it back in, after the key is off, it drops to the 5mA straight away (fuse 31 contols a lot of the imobolizer, alarm and other stuff ??).
so im not worried theres a drain??.
which avenue should i persue??
battery not holding charge = new battery £45??
alternator not charging enough = new altenator £100??
two last things to mix it up.
the possitive battery cable plastic covering has worn thru around 2" away from the battery terminal (as it bends down over the side of the battery).
the metal wires were visable, but we taped this up several months ago. so its fully insulated.
could this be contributing a large ammount, or is it a red herring??.
ive got a secondhand possitive battery cable, but it looks like a pig of a job to get to the starter motor connection end?.
also the digital climate control i had fixed a while ago (kept turning off). since having it fixed the blowers are funny, e.g. at 28deg they blow hot, but then after 20min go cool. if i nudge the temp up 1 degree they go hot again. but then cool off again after a few min. if i keep nudging the temp up every few min they remain hot. and at 32deg they stay hot all the time. could the final stage unit be playing up, and possibly be adding to my power problems?.
thanks in advance, i really need some help over this.