Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I am Mabboseg from Australia and I have a 1998 316i E36 BMW Compact with two passenger doors. I had bought this as a used car and I was given only one key having remote locking and unlocking in it. It also had a user manual but most of the contents of this manual is for Left Hand Drive, seems that it was meant for US market but my car is a Right Hand Drive. Recently I had bought another remote similar key which was very expensive $A520.00. I had used the standard procedure to initialize the keys and now both of the keys don’t work for locking and unlocking. But they work manually and can start the car. I thought I had messed up maybe with something.

I had successfully initialized the key several times before when it use to stop working for remote opening/closing. That procedure was:
    1 Get in the car and close the doors
    2 Put the key and switch to position 2 for less than 5s
    3 Before 30s lapsed…While holding the unlock button press the lock button 3 times and release all buttons

The LED in the key begins to flash, and use to give lock/unlock signal but now when I do that it only flashes, continues to flash maybe 10 times and nothing happens.

I went online and looked for resources to fix my problems but with no success. Some of the new procedures that I have tried are as follows:

No 1:
    1 Unlock vehicle via Manual locking from the driver's door.
    2 Briefly switch on terminal R (1st Position) in vehicle (maximum 5 seconds) and switch off again.
    3 Open Driver Door and Close it Again => The system is now ready to be initialized.
    4 Press and hold "unlock" (No.2) button on the Remote Key.
    5 Point Key Remote in the direction of the rear window antenna , with the "unlock" button still pressed, press "lock" (No.1) button three times within 10 seconds, Now you have to Release the Unlock Button.

If you have any additional Remote Keys you must do the same steps , but this time
    without Turning on the ignition or opening and closing the door, just after you hear
    the Central locking Click, then within 30 Seconds Sync the other Keys buy pressing
    Unlock button and 3 times Lock button the release the Unlock

No 2:
    1 Get in and close all doors.
    2 Turn on the ignition and turn off quickly. (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds.
    3 Remove the 1st key.
    4 Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote receiver antenna)
    5 Hold down the unlock button (which is button 1) and press the lock button 3 times (center button)
    6 Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.

Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.
    If it does not work, try doing the keys in opposite order. Key 2 then key1, vs 1 then 2.

No 3
    1 Inserted the key into the door lock and turned to lock the door
    2 Inserted the key into the door lock and turned to unlocked the door
    3 Sit in the car for about 10min doing nothing for the initialization to kick in
    4 Switched the ignition lock to position 1 and then switched off (within 5 seconds)
    5. Press button 2 (lock) and hold in
    6 Pressed button 1 (unlock) three times, then released button 2 (within 10 seconds)

No 4

1 Open all the doors and sit in the car
    2 Turn on the ignition and turn off quickly. (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds.
    3 Remove the 1st key.
    4 Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote receiver antenna)
    5 Hold down the unlock button (which is button 1) and press the lock button 3 times (center button)
    6 Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.

No 5
    1 Make sure that all the doors, trunk and hood are closed.
    2 Insert the key into the ignition and switch it to position 1. Turn it back again. Repeat this four more
    times. Then remove the key from the ignition cylinder.
    3 Press the "Lock" button three times while holding down the "Unlock" button. Then release the
    "Unlock" button. The door locks will then cycle to confirm that you did it correctly.
    4 Repeat step 3 for each key that you need to program.
    5 Exit the programming mode by inserting the key into the ignition and turning it to position 1 and then
    taking it out.

No 6
    1 The car must have been opened with the remote control. If the car was not opened with the remote
    control, an interlock takes effect and initialising is not possible for a 15-minute period.
    2 Enter the car and close the driver's door.
    3 Turn the Ignition key to position 1 (max> 5 seconds) and return to position 0.
    4 Press button 1 (Unlock) on the transmitter and hold. Keeping button 1 pressed, briefly press button 2
    (Lock) three times in succession within a period of 10 seconds.
    5 Release button 1, The LED will flash slowly for max. 10 seconds,
    6 The central locking system indicates that initialisation has been performed successfully by closing and
    releasing the locks in rapid succession.
    If the LED does not flash and the central locking system does not operate, the initialising procedure must be repealed-
    If you use additional remote-control transmitters for the same car, each of them (up to four) must be initialised within a further 30 seconds (repeat steps 4 to 6), otherwise they will be de-activated.

I have tried many more with slight variations in timing etc without any success. I also have done the following:

• I have checked all the fuses in the fuse compartment next to the battery they all are OK. I have done this with an ohm meter, individually taking each out - testing – put it back.

• Checked the central locking system, it is operating OK manually; it locks/opens all the doors, trunk and fuel door with the keys.

• Apart from the remote locking/unlocking everything seems to work as normal.

• Have bought a packet of six batteries (CR2016) and both of the keys have a new one in them now.
    I don’t know how to check if the remote receiver in the car is working or not, also I don’t know where it is mounted in my car. Maybe it has a separate fuse mounted somewhere else ( not with other fuses in the fusebox). Or maybe I need to check for something else ????

The only other thing that I remember doing recently is that the ASC was switched off for a while when I drove on the spare wheel for a long distance and put the normal wheel back when I got home.

Now I am relying on this forum to fix my problems …. PLEASE HELP with any ideas that you may have tried with success.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    dazza316i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    Thanks
    check all your door switches inc boot and bonnet and fuelflap ... Wot type of key is it?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mabboseg's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dazza316i View Post
    check all your door switches inc boot and bonnet and fuelflap ... Wot type of key is it?
    Thanks for your reply
    I just checked for the switches, couldn't find switches for doors but when the doors are closed the room light goes off after a delay, when they are open the light remains on. (checked individually for both).

The boot door switch: when I open the boot the light doesn't come on straight away, have to push the switch once to on it, also when I pull the switch once the light goes off after a delay. When the boot is closed the light goes off after the delay time.

I couldn't find the bonnet and the fuel door switches (maybe they are not installed in my model). If you know where they are please let me know, my car looks same as yours.

The key is of the type as in attached file:
    Attached Images

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    billywhizz1984's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i x 3, 325TDS x 1, 320i x 2, 318is x 1
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 x 2, 1998, 1997 x 2, 1996, 1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring x 4, Convertible x 2, Coupe x 1
    Images
    Thanks
    You seem to have tried everything. The only thing I can think of is that the receiver module (A194Y in the rear view mirror) is faulty.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mabboseg's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanx Billy

Quote Originally Posted by billywhizz1984 View Post
    You seem to have tried everything. The only thing I can think of is that the receiver module (A194Y in the rear view mirror) is faulty.
    Is there a way to test the receiver?? Also how shall I open the mirror to tale out the electronics circuit of this unit, you may point to the threads in the forum and I will read through all of them.

Thanx for you help Billy

Mabbo

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    dazza316i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    Thanks
    there's some screws holding it together it comes apart real easy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dazza316i For This Useful Post:

mabboseg (16-06-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    raaf12's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Maybe the electronics goes bad, the good news is a non OEM remote kit is cheap.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    dazza316i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    Thanks

heres wots inside

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dazza316i For This Useful Post:

mabboseg (16-06-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    dazza316i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    Thanks
    the bonnet switch on mine is front left hand side at the front its a microswitch not like the others fitted to car

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dazza316i For This Useful Post:

mabboseg (16-06-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mabboseg's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dazza316i View Post
    the bonnet switch on mine is front left hand side at the front its a microswitch not like the others fitted to car
    HI Darren
    I tried looking for the micro switch but couldn't find one. I have opened the black plastic cover and traced the wiring but no help. Attached is the picture

Thanks
    Attached Images
    Last edited by mabboseg; 19-06-2011 at 10:41.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast