1997 E39 540i, odometer problem. - Page 2

Notices

Thread: 1997 E39 540i, odometer problem.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Porschester's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    123d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    ok i got some details ..

the mileage tamper light is NOT lit ..

but the date of manufacture of the dashboard is 25/04! .. I suspect this means that either the dashboard has been replaced or its been hooked up to a device thats overwritten things .. its probably been replaced .. WOW! .. but I do have a history of MOT inspections so am still fairly confident of the mileage. (Gotta have faith!)

the vin number is correct

Oh I DID DO TEST21 .. which was a reset! .. it went fine and the clock has appeared .. I only just realised that I had never seen it .. so thats good I suppose

Does any of this shed lioght on my odometer 999999 issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    123d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Anyone still following this?? Quick update.

Heres a laugh for you .. I thought my car had 86,000 miles on it when I bought it a year ago .. I just got a DVLA MOT history done a few days ago and the car had the following ..

o 11/12/2006 - Odometer reading: 165,827 Miles

HOLD ON !!! that means my car has probably now got about 200,000 miles on it!!!!

hahahahahah .. boy, what can you do .. thats what you get for purchasing a car with no history .. hahaha .. anyway so I have to take it at face value, its not burning any oil, it doesnt smoke, the gearbox seems fine (and I drive it hard occasionally), and .. all the pixels in the cluster are fine!!!

So, is this normal for this car? can anyone guess how long it will last?

OK, so I just got INPA/EDIABAS working, and hopefully soon to get the BMW-Scanner working .. because guess what .. I still have to fix my odometer problem .. which still reads 999999.

Will keep you updated.

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo, E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,711 Posts
    Damn. Milage doesn't really worry me. We've had a couple if BMW's with that milage and it's not been a problem yet.

My brother currently has the family E36 323 touring and that has over 200k on it. It hit 200K on the autobahn at some silly speed. The engine doesn't use any oil. Problems with it at the moment is rust and a few suspension bushes. We haven't done the clutch on it yet!

Ian

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    123d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Yeah Ian I hear you .. I spoke to a friend about it and he just shook his head .. he said and I agree with him .. that you're just glad for every mile you get out of it before a seriously costly issue arises .. what kind of mileage can I expect to get on the 540i automatic gearbox before it needs a rebuild, any idea? , hell, it may have been rebuilt already!! ;o) lets hope so.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    123d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Trying to fix the odometer 999999 issue, performed dashboard diagnostic OBD (Check Control) tests and found out the following which may or may not be interesting and/or helpful:

o Test01 - part number of cluster 6942196, CI:12 DI:09 SI:15, DAT 25/04, HW: 24 SW: 2100/2100
    o Test02 - SI-L: 0103, SI-TAGE: 0145
    o Test10 - LAND: 01 UK
    o Test11 - EINHEIT 1: F5, EINHEIT 2: 75, EINHEIT 3: 4A
    o Test14 - DIAG 1: CF 82 000

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    123d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    OK Guys,

So I've got a working INPA/EDIABAS interface and wanted to do some fault finding to see if I could narrow down what the issue is with this 999999 odometer problem. I'm trying to come up with a list of things to check to determine:

1. what the necessary modules are that I have to look at to fix this
    2. if the necessary modules are working correctly
    3. if the necessary modules are coded correctly
    4. if the necessary modules are talking to each other properly

does this make sense so far?

What I know is that the Instrument Cluster is not the original one and has a date of manufacture of 2004 (seen above from the check control dash test). I guess this means that its the CAN type??!!

I also know that everything else on the Instrument Cluster is working fine and ONLY the odometer looks like its at fault. The tamper dot is NOT lit. The trip counter works fine.

And finally, I know that "The total distance is made available in the form of a telegram on the body bus (K-bus). The total distance is stored in the instrument cluster and in the light check module (LCM ). "999999" is displayed as the total distance if the instrument cluster cannot read the total distance and it cannot be determined by way of the light check module (LCM )."

I think that the modules that I need to look at in more detail are IKE (of course!), LCM (of course!) and CAN.

Going on Deano16v's advice above, and based on that error description, I'm going to start tonight by looking at the LCM (seems like a good place to start) with my INPA interface.

Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for?
    I dont know how to use INPA, can I destroy anything by running tests on the LCM?
    Does anyone have an INPA user manual? (OK, I know theres a manual, but its crap, cryptic, and talks about INPA software programming, let me word this better) what I mean is, Is there a manual that would tell me what the tests do and what the expected results would be?

I'll post the results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12