BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 E36 328isport- Key&Alarm fobs

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  billywhizz1984 
#1 ·
Hi everone, i need to source another key for my car, and alarm fob too..

When i got the car it only had the one key, with the button missing:mad:mad

It also has the alarm fob missing too, im led to believe they were a seperate fob?

It has the original alarm 'box' in the engine bay, i notice this unit is switched to the off position.

Now, ive seen uncut keys, and replacement alarm fobs on ebay, is it just a case of getting the auto electrician to code them to the car, and getting the new key cut at say, Timpsons??:confused:confused

Sorry its a bit long winded, hope you can help!!!:thumbsup

#3 ·
Spare keys are only available from the dealer as they are pre-cut and pre-coded for your locks & immobiliser transponder. There is no short-cut or way around this.

You need to take the V5 in your name and some ID along and they will order you one in about 4 days.

Mine without the LED light cost about £23 last year and the one with the LED light was about £30 as I recall.

#4 ·
Ok, so ive got the required fob, but can anyone help me find the key that turns the siren unit to the 'on' position??

Ive checked on ebay, but no luck... are they all the same?? Like could i get someone else to use there key:confused

Thankyou in advance

#5 ·
The keys are all different IIRC. You can use a paper clip and screw driver and turn the alarm to the on position. But its most definatley been turned off for the main reson its not working properly, hence the "missing" fob from the last keeper :thumbsup

Best of just getting a aftermarket alarm fitted as the standard one has no security features at all, unless someone opens a door then it'll sound, or if you have xtras ie microwave sensor (behind cig lighter). The main immob chip is in the key so without that the car isn't going anywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.