BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 e36 328i touring, testing resistance of sensors.

653 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TheEnd 
#1 ·
Hello all. just a quick question, can all the sensors on the 2.8i engine be tested with a regular meter, as i have one and would save cost of diagnostic session. thanks for any help.

#4 ·
It's best to have the correct readings.
If you have any particular sensor in mind, let me know, and i should be able to find some specs for you.
A dynamic test is often better, for example, If you are checking the TPS, all you need to do is check that the resistance moves in a smooth linear fashion to the throttle plate.
If you are checking temperature sensors, it's best to either try them in hot or cold water, or at different temperatures to make sure they are working.

Hall effect and position sensors are harder to test dynamically, as you'd ideally need an oscilloscope to see the waveform (which is the important part of the signal) although checking the resistance will give a good guide to as to whether the sensor is operating correctly.

coilpacks are harder still to test, with only the primary input coil able to be checked without High voltage equipment to check the output correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.