1997 E36 328i Touring – Siren Swap?

Notices

Thread: 1997 E36 328i Touring – Siren Swap?

Reply to Thread
  1. 1997 E36 328i Touring – Siren Swap? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    touring328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Man
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi,

Long time lurker but this is my first post!

First, thank you billywhizz1984 and Ronnie for your very informative posts and knowledge regarding the Alarm systems that are fitted to the BMW range. I had interest in the E36 3G Mk2 system as when i brought my car it didn’t come with (amongst other things) an alarm fob. I have since sourced one from fleebay, programmed it and now the alarm works, in a fashion! Quick note – I’m aware the button operation had been discussed in a previous post and to go against popular trend my fob unlocks with the top grey button and locks with the red one...

Any way – I have been having issues with my siren and the long and short of the matter is its kaput...

So i wondered if anyone had replaced just the siren with a battery backed up aftermarket version. I have been hutting for a good second hand BMW 3G Mk2 siren but wonder if they are worth the bother, worn out battery backup etc.
    My crazy plan would be to splice a three wire (positive, negative and trigger) into the existing loom!

The down side is it would leave me with two wires surplus in the existing loom that would have to be capped. Does anyone know what these two “extra” wires feed and if the alarm will operate quite happily without them?

All comments and other (better) ideas appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I'd take a guess at one of them being the wire that goes to the bonnet switch

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    touring328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Man
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    HI shamM3

Thanks for the post,

Naa the bonnet switch wire is a separate (thick black) wire. The siren itself has five wires going into it..... Will look at the colors later and report back incase it helps with a diagnosis.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    billywhizz1984's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i x 3, 325TDS x 1, 320i x 2, 318is x 1
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 x 2, 1998, 1997 x 2, 1996, 1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring x 4, Convertible x 2, Coupe x 1
    Images
    Thanks
    Wiring should be as follows...

Alarm Siren Plug

1. Brown
    2. Brown/Red (Orange on some siren wiring)
    3. Black/White
    4. Violet/Grey
    5. Black (Black/Red or Brown/Violet on some siren wiring) This goes to the bonnet pin-switch
    6. Red

On the Mk1 all six wires go to the siren. On the Mk2 five go to the siren and one goes to the bonnet pin as above.

I've not investigated this further but of the five there must be a positive, an earth, a "trigger" and some form of continuity circuit. The theory being that if the continuity is broken by the wires being cut the siren will sound using the backup battery, even if it hasn't had the "trigger" signal. I tried to cut a Mk2 siren open to find out more about it and that is how I know it is encased in resin! Nothing wrong with your theory and perhaps simple voltage tests across the siren wires with the alarm in various modes may answer which is which. Whatever you find out please post the results.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    touring328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Man
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi Billy,
    Thanks for the info, didn’t get round to checking the wires last night as the head gasket has now gone and I’m ripping it to bits to swap the engine, oh joy!
    Once I’ve completed the swap i will be back on with the alarm.
    I pulled my Mk2 Siren to bits and as you say it’s filled with (badly mixed) glue, 3M 9323 if I’m not mistaken, making it impossible to repair or even investigate without breaking boards. I will be getting my meter out to carry out a check on the loom to try to diagnose which is which and will revisit the thread to hopefully conclude the outcome of my investigation once I’ve got the new motor in.
    Thanks again...