BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 E36 328i coupe climate control odd

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Nik-Gnashers 
#1 ·
Just got a used dual digital climate control unit to replace my old one which was beyond repair, and have never noticed there are two different types of recirculating buttons.
My old E36 saloon had (3rd button down on the right) a three arrows in a circle icon, and the unit I have just purchased also has the same.
The unit that is broken I have only just noticed, has two three arrow circles and two led's on the same button, the left side has an A in the circle.
When I fitted the unit, there was an extra wire/socket which the replacement unit does not have.
The replacement unit does work, but the temp operates in the opposite way ie 32.0 is cold and 16.0 is hot !
The aircon doesnt seem to work very well but it may just need re-gassing.
The fan speeds operate normally as do the top vents/middle vents/footwell vents buttons.
I cannot understand why the temp works the wrong way, surely its not just because of the extra recirculating wire/socket not connected ?
Any ideas ppl ??

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply,
The only difference between my old one and the newly purchased one is: the 3rd button from top on the right is exactly like the picture in your thumbnail on my OLD one. The new one is identical but only has one corcle of arrows without the A inside. I dug out my manual and it says the extra function is an automatic sensor position. It will auto detect if there are poisonous external funes and auto-switch the climate control to recirculating.
I am guessing the extra plug/wire that wont fit into my newly purchased unit (due to there being no socket just a hole) is where the unit connects to the poisonous gas sensor thingy ?
All the other buttons work, and even the recirculating button works in the on/off type way the led comes on fine.
The old unit I took to the same local indy where my previous saloon climate control was fixed. They had a look and told me somebody had tried putting a new resistor in it before and completely messed the circuit board up, and they couldnt do anything with it.
EDIT: My aircon doesnt work though. Well, it DOES work I can hear it when I push the button and the led comes on, but no cold air so im guessing its the actual aircon compressor/pump or maybe just needs regassing.

#4 ·
You also said the temp controls were inverted so clearly new unit isn't wired the same as the old. I expect you'll find they have different part numbers. So the question is do you want to live with it or do you need another the same as the old one. Did you get the old unit back from the Indy? Have you had it apart yourself?

#5 ·
I have the old unit, and the circuit board is indeed shagged they have tried soldering a new resistor on the wrong side :|
the temp controls are now behaving which is very odd, although it may have been because I was trying to get cold air and had the middle vent set to hot, and obviously the air coming out wasnt hot, and turning the temp up seemed to make the middle vent colder ... I know it sounds iffy, but tbh the climate controls on E36 always baffled me a bit and maybe it does work correctly.
Am hoping the aircon just needs a regas and nothings broken ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.