328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    Hi all

I am a new member to the site and still trying to work my way around it. so please be gentle lol.

I have looked around the site before and found some very usefull tips but now i am stuck big time. i will try to explain as much as possible so you guys might be able to help.

ok i bought an 1997 E36 328i tourer auto about two years ago off a friend. when i bought it the key fob for the door and alarm would not work. it didnt bother me as the key worked the central locking. after a few months i took it to techtronics to see if they could fix it. the guy tried fixing the fob and tried reprogramming the alarm. He had no joy with either of them and said he could fit a replacement alarm for £180. To be honest i wasnt bothered so said leave it. upon picking the car up he gave me the key fob back and a little black box which he had taken out(BMW 3T-EWS part no 93.87.0.000.043). i was surprised but he said dont worry about it it wont cause any problems. i said ok and drove home everything working fine.

Until yesterday when i was installing an amp for my sub. I did what any safety conscious person would do when playing with electrics disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. after the installation was complete i proceeded to reconnect the battery. Upon doing this to my shock and horror the alarm started going off!!! With a dumb look on my face i thought maybe the key in the ignition would turn it off so i tried and it didnt work. after this failed attempt i thought i would check if the engine would start. sure enough it does but the alarm is still wailing away. It was getting late so i disconnected the battery and have left it till this morning to try again.

I have read through a lot of threads on alarm problems but they all seem to be about diagnosing a fault with an alarm system which is complete and has all the working bits installed. unlike me with a dud fob in one hand and black box in another.

i found this thread helpful but mind boggling at the same time.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...3g-ews-t39173/

If there is anyone that could help in the slightest way it would be a appreciated as i am about to go and annoy the neighbours all morning. or untill the battery dies on me lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    With the battery disconnected, turn the ignition on to position 2(one before starting) and then connect tbe battery. Does alarm go off?

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    carbers911's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    If the above doesnt work what I would do is remove the alarm siren altogether, get a big thick blanket to hand so you can smother the sound and put it to one side until the backup battery runs out.
    One bonus of the BMW system is that with it having a separate immobiliser you can take out bits of the alarm without fear of not being able to start the car.