1997 E36 318i - Overheating/fan problem? - Page 2

Notices

Thread: 1997 E36 318i - Overheating/fan problem?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Have you checked for voltage. You should have 12v at pin 30 on the low relay

You could take two lengths of wire from the battery straight to the fan terminals. Brown wire -ve and black/blue wire +ve to check if the low speed works

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gildersol For This Useful Post:

gixxerjunkie (28-09-2009)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    gixxerjunkie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    No thats something i've not tried. I wouldn't have known which were + & - terminals. Thanks for that. ;o)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    GREAT!!! Im about 75% on top now. I went to my local stealership today and got a new Radiator Fan Switch. Took about 5 mins to fit once the car had cooled down from overheating again on the way to get it. I spent about 20 mins bleeding the radiator, making sure I had not 1 little bubble left coming fro the vent screw. Squeezing the upper and lower rad pipes just to give a help pushing any air through. Here's what I found the result to be. It took about 30 mins at idle just to bring the temp up to normal (12 o clock) about another 25 mins for the fan to come in on high speed. I still dont have low speed fan working but need to check it as Gildersol advised. Even though the fan came on in high speed, the temp gauge was barely over normal. This is a great improvement compaired to having no fan and the temp warning light coming on after 20 mins. Im confident that I can drive about again without having one eye fixed on the gauge. The other thing that has improved is the heating/climate control. Previously it blew cold to warm. Even when set on 32 degrees it would still be just warm air and not hot. Now it cooking, it was like an oven when I opened the door. Taking the advise of turning the temp up full while bleeding the system, I could notice the difference straight away. Should hopefully stop the missus and the baby freezing in the winter now.
    I'll update and advise my findings when I check the actual fan to see if it runs on low at all or if the fan is defunked.
    In the mean time, I would like to give a big thanks to all who have helped and offered advise. I could have had a nightmare with it but you have made things a lot easier.
    Thanks again,
    Lee.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I had another go at my fan again this morning, checking for voltage at terminals. Gildersol sugested that I should try linking the fan terminals straight to the battery to test the low speed. I done that and yes the fan ran ok. I the linked the battery live to terminal 87 on the low speed relay base, again, this brought the fan on. With relay out and with the engine running, testing pin 30 on the relay base, it was dead. The live on 30 of the low speed relay is switched from 87b on the high speed relay. Once 30 is live it then switches live on 87 on the low speed relay to bring the fan on. I'm now hitting a brick wall! I know my fan runs...eliminated, I know its not a broken wire from relay to fan....eliminated, I know its not the Fan switch....replced it. Looking at the 2 relays, although they are both 5 pin, they have different switch patterns. I'm not 100% sure that I might even have the correct relays fitted. Reason being that from that good old internet auction site, I bought all the relays and fuses from someone who was breaking a 318 to have as spares. Thing is that the relay numders for my fan dont match any of those I got. It would be a great help if someone could pop of the fuse cover and just tell me the colour and number of both relays. Even the number of pins if you could pull them out?
    Cheeries ;0)

Thanks
    Do the relays have the little diagram embossed on them? The high speed one should be a changeover contact so that both speeds of the fan can't be powered at the same time.
    According to the wiring diagrams the high speed relay pins should be 85 & 86 for the coil,
    85b not used, 30 is the live feed, 87a pin 2 on base) is the switched feed to the high spped on the fan and 87 (pin 5 on base) is the switched feed to the low speed relay.
    On the base of the high speed relay pin.

What does your relay show and what relay pin goes to what base pin?
    You're almost there.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Im in at work now but will have a look this evening if I get the chance. If not, it will be in the morning. Atleast you have a wiring diagram to cross ref' I just been taking things to bits and following wires lol. The relays in high and low have both got diagrams on them so will draw them down to help with ref'. Im still not sure though why I've no live to the low speed relay, even when I unplug the connector from the radiator fan switch and link the terminals in the plug, I still get nothing. Having removed the fuse box to reveal the mess under it, the black with green from the switch just dissapears into the midst of the mess. Unable to trace where it goes once in the bottom of the fuse box. There is a green with red linking the low speed on 30 to the high speed on 87b. this must give me my live??????

As I say, I will look again later.

Thanks
    I was just quickly looking while in work as well and I just realised I was looking at a diagram for a 6 cylinder.
    There aren't much differences so this one for 4 cylinder should help you to check it out
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gildersol; 01-10-2009 at 17:51.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanks, thats could be a big help. It certainly proves 1 thing.....I've got the wrong relyas fitted. The wiring diagram showing a 4 pin but my low speed is a 5 pin and its not the same numbers on the pins. I need to find out which relays should be fitted ie 197, 047 etc. Once I get that then I might be able to get it switching right. ;0)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I have drawn a little diagram of the etchings on my relays. Photobucket link again folks.
    I dont think its right going by the wiring diagram Gildersol posted.
    Have a look and give your opinion. Sorry for the artist impression though.
    http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v.../E36relays.jpg
    I will have a look and let you know which pin goes to which on the base.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    This might mean something or it could mean nothing!!

pins on relays to base.
    High speed relay 30 - 6, 85 - 4, 86 - 8, 87 - 2, 87b - 5.
    Low speed relay 30 - 6, 85 - 4, 86 - 8, 86b - 5, 87 - 2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast