1997 E36 318i - Overheating/fan problem?

Notices

Thread: 1997 E36 318i - Overheating/fan problem?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. 1997 E36 318i - Overheating/fan problem? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    gixxerjunkie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi, Please can someone help with my 318i overheating?
    I have only recently bought this car and one of the first problems I have is overheating. I am gettng a bit confused because I have read in several places that the E36 has 2 fans? 1 that pushes through the rad and 1 that pulls? I can only find 1 fan on mine sitting between the radiator and the engine. Im reading that the other sits between the radiator and the kidney grills....not there!! Anyway, Im having trouble with my car overheating in slow traffic or after about 30 mins on a warrm day. I have removed the plug from the temp sensor and tried closing the circuits for the high speed and low speed relays. The high speed comes on but not the low speed....swapping the relays round and still the same...I have high speed fan but no low speed fan. Not the relay at fault. I can leave the car running at idle for about 20 mins and the red warning light comes on but my fan does not even though I know the relay is working? I think im looking at 2 problems here? a faulty temp switch? and pos' a broken wire between the switch and low speed relay. I've just ordered a new thermostat and a water pump to be safe. Due to the thing about reading that all e36's have 2 fans, could anyone explain why I only have 1? I keep reading about fan deleting and letting the aux fan do all the work, could it be that someone has done this? If its any help, no matter what temp between 16 degrees and 32degrees i set the temp control to it just stays the same out of the vents. (does my car have air con?)

Any help and advise would be great,
    Thanks in advance,

Lee.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    You only have one fan-Don't know where you saw you have 2,unless you have A/C

a common problem is an airlock

1.Jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands as high as possible,
    2.Turn the ignition on,engine off,heater on fan setting 1 and temperature fully hot,
    3.Remove the rad cap/expansion cap,remove the bleed screw from the radiator and IF you have them the bleed screw(s) from the thermostat housing/top hose, return pipe or EGR thermostat.
    4.Fill the radiator up and keep pouring till there are no more air bubbles coming out from the bleeds, using a funnel that fits tight in the radiator neck and filling it full of water will help push any troublesome air out, when good you can then install the bleeds and tighten down(don't snap them),ensure the rubber O-rings/seals are still on the screws/on the bleed holes.
    5.Suck some water out so it's not full to the brim, replace the cap and then start the car. Run her up and check for heat from the vents when warm and check if over heating still persists. You may have to bleed troublesome cars twice(but rare).
    6.If all is good then check the water level again in the morning when cool

Courtesy of Ronnie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xXxStKxXx For This Useful Post:

gixxerjunkie (27-09-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanks for your advice.
    I thought that my car had A/C as in the center console my heating controls is a little box with a digital display of output temp. It has 4 buttons on either side, temp controls on the bottm, the left side of it is just for which vents and the right is other controls. I have put a link in to photobucket showing what I have. Pic is not from in my car but exactly what I have. If you can tell me yes or no it might help me understand things a little better.
    http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...7-11/ry400.jpg

Thanks again,

Lee.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    1 Electric fan is normal on your model as its quite late....
    That fan doubles up as the air-con fan and cooling fan.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to steve23002 For This Useful Post:

gixxerjunkie (27-09-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Along with a pos' air lock, can anyone explain why my fan does not kick in? As I mentioned in my 1st post I tried closing the circuits and have high speed but no low speed. I know its not the relay after I swapped them round and still have the same problem. Is it the sensor on the off side of the rad that tells the fan when to come on? Should I replace it?

Lee.

Thanks
    If you're talking about the high and low speed relays I don't think they are the same. Can you confirm what pins are on each relay.
    Anyway, if you unplug the low speed relay and bridge across pins 30 and 87 on the base, does the fan run at low speed?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I took both relays out and looking at the nubers on the underside they have the same numbers. The numbers on the top are different, as are the colours. The high speed is dark green and the low speed is yellow. Thats something else for me to try, i will give it a go in the morning.
    Thanks.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    OK so I took the relay out again and linked out 30 and 87 on the base. Still nothing!
    Am I looking at a broken wire somewhere in the loom? Seems like a logical explanation to me because I'm able to force my fan into high speed at the sensor connector. Im going to take a guess that different speeds are only controled by level of current passed by the relays when switching. As im not getting the high speed fan cut in with high temp, I'm assuming that my sensor switch is up the duff?

Thanks
    So are both relays 4 pin? I expected the high speed one to be 5 pin (changeover contact), but the diagrams do sometimes differ from whats in the car.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    No, both of the relays are 5 pin. Even with the help of the diagram showing which relays are which, it doesn't give the relay number. For all I know it could be the wrong relay fitted? As I said though that even when linking 30 to 87 I still get nothing. Im begining to wonder what a previous keeper might have done as 1 of the other faults on the car when I got it was no full beam. Keeper decided to run a wire straight from battery, under steering wheel into a toggle switch then off to headlight to switch full beam. That turned out only to be the relay!!! Took seconds to identify and rectify. wish this was so easy lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast