BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1996 E36 HID low beam warning

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  alexh22 
#1 ·
I have an issue with the HID’s i`ve installed to the dipped beam on my car. All installed properly with ballasts nicely mounted, holes cut in the back of the headlight covers, nothing bodged.

I randomly get one of the hid’s not firing up, it can be left or right but I have to turn them off and turn them back on, most of the time that works, sometimes not. I`ve checked the wiring and all seems fine. If I do get both to fire into life, I still get a Low Beam Failure warning when I turn off the lights.

The kit was from ebay, but from a reputable UK seller offering 2 year warranty with good feedback, it wasn’t some cheap kit and seems to be well made with decent instructions. Kit was also E36 specific, and I contacted the seller before purchasing asking if the kit could cause errors with the computer- I was assured this kit would not cause errors as its been sold by them for a few years now without issue.

Before I go ranting at the seller I want to be sure I have no issues my end, any ideas?

its a 35w kit by the way.

#2 ·
If you've double checked all the wiring and connections, then perhaps the ballasts are faulty. Could be worth asking for a replacement pair to be sent out so you can check - if that fixes it, great. If not, then you can rule out the ballasts being the problem.

#4 ·
Something's not quite right then, especially if you've been sold a kit that shouldn't give bulb warnings. Maybe there's a surge of power from somewhere, or maybe the seller didn't send you the right kit? Have you contacted them, could be worth it they may have just sent the wrong kit by accident. :thumbsup

#8 ·
You mean an in line resistor to fool it into thinking its 55w.... no way I'm doing that if I've paid good money. Contacted seller and will await response, ill prob send them back.

Only getting the error message when I turn them off. Bloody annoying.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.