1996 e36 328i conversion start problem? - Page 7

Notices

Thread: 1996 e36 328i conversion start problem?

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    jjbbuzz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i s m44 + 328i m52
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996 + 1995
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    ok been out there trying to start it still..i can smell petrol? so not sure if petrol getting in and no spark now?? but yesterday it faintly started. heres a pic of the three relays on the side(one missing) dont no what one goes in there. or if there in the right order 1 2 3?i put them on there.. should the empty one be in the ecu compartment? the wires from it get traped by the ecu cover.. what relay would it be??need a part number for thaat one?
    Last edited by jjbbuzz; 10-10-2011 at 19:50.
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LET THE BRIDGES I BURN BEHIND ME, LIGHT MY WAY FORWARD....!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    payno's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo S Type R
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,845 Posts
    TESTING THE RELAYS & THEIR SOCKETS
    When troubleshooting the relays & sockets, you can refer to the photo below (relays removed). I don't see how the socket and pin locations could be different, but verify your individual application anyway by matching the socket to the pin numbers on the relays. What will not change is the pin numbers and their functions; these are standard Bosch type 12v relays. Note that the DME relay has two 87's: one feeds the fuel pump relay, the other feeds the fuel injector valves. This is known as a Double Pole Single Throw (DPST) relay, as opposed to the fuel pump relay, which is a Single Pole Single Throw (SPST).

You will need a multimeter, +12v power source & ground to test each relay. Connect relay pin 85 to ground. Set your meter for a continuity test, and attach the meter probes to pins 30 & 87. When you apply +12v to pin 86, you should hear an audible "click", and the meter should indicate that 30 & 87 have been bridged (continuity confirmed). If not, then the relay is bad.

If the relays check out okay, there may be a break or short in the wires leading to the pump. Move on to the relay sockets. Test for continuity between the fuel pump relay socket 87, and the green/violet wire at the pump (remember that fuse #18 lies in between these two points). Then test for continuity between the other wire at the pump, and a ground source. If those check out, then the wiring is okay.

On both relay sockets, #30 should be reading +12v at all times. At this point, a fault at the socket or the wiring harnesses is beyond the scope of this writeup, and this is where the setup between the different model E36's will begin to vary. Furthermore, if you haven't found anything wrong by this juncture, then it's no longer a fuel delivery issue, and you should be looking elsewhere for the culprit of your problem. found this on unitedbimmer.com hope it will help

4. The Following User Says Thank You to payno For This Useful Post:

jjbbuzz (11-10-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbuzz View Post
    the 3 relays are DME main relay, fuel pump relay and lambda heater relay.

I have a feeling they are in that order too, so DME main relay is missing, and likely to be your route cause.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

jjbbuzz (11-10-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    jjbbuzz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i s m44 + 328i m52
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996 + 1995
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
    the 3 relays are DME main relay, fuel pump relay and lambda heater relay.

I have a feeling they are in that order too, so DME main relay is missing, and likely to be your route cause.
    ok, but ive pulled out the relays and changed them about to try start it? will any other 4 prong relay take its place??also the one nearer the ecu compartment,the wire is trapped by the cover,should that relay be in with ecu?? because other 328i that ive seen,only have 2 showing?i need to no what relay is to fill that gap on one??
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    jjbbuzz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i s m44 + 328i m52
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996 + 1995
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by payno View Post
    TESTING THE RELAYS & THEIR SOCKETS
    When troubleshooting the relays & sockets, you can refer to the photo below (relays removed). I don't see how the socket and pin locations could be different, but verify your individual application anyway by matching the socket to the pin numbers on the relays. What will not change is the pin numbers and their functions; these are standard Bosch type 12v relays. Note that the DME relay has two 87's: one feeds the fuel pump relay, the other feeds the fuel injector valves. This is known as a Double Pole Single Throw (DPST) relay, as opposed to the fuel pump relay, which is a Single Pole Single Throw (SPST).

You will need a multimeter, +12v power source & ground to test each relay. Connect relay pin 85 to ground. Set your meter for a continuity test, and attach the meter probes to pins 30 & 87. When you apply +12v to pin 86, you should hear an audible "click", and the meter should indicate that 30 & 87 have been bridged (continuity confirmed). If not, then the relay is bad.

If the relays check out okay, there may be a break or short in the wires leading to the pump. Move on to the relay sockets. Test for continuity between the fuel pump relay socket 87, and the green/violet wire at the pump (remember that fuse #18 lies in between these two points). Then test for continuity between the other wire at the pump, and a ground source. If those check out, then the wiring is okay.

On both relay sockets, #30 should be reading +12v at all times. At this point, a fault at the socket or the wiring harnesses is beyond the scope of this writeup, and this is where the setup between the different model E36's will begin to vary. Furthermore, if you haven't found anything wrong by this juncture, then it's no longer a fuel delivery issue, and you should be looking elsewhere for the culprit of your problem. found this on unitedbimmer.com hope it will help

ok thanks for this, i will try, only have this multimetre. what setting on this to do the test??
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    jjbbuzz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i s m44 + 328i m52
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996 + 1995
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    ok dont no whats going on here.... its me i no it..just put another relay in, turned the key started 1st time...bad ratteling noise and smoke coming from exhaust manifolds? hmm...but thankyou all very much..

smoke coming from the exhaust manifolds where it attaches to the engine? when i had to take them off, some of the studs,well most,came out with the manifolds..that a big problem? i just done them back up..the gaskets looked ok? so i put them back on,wernt no bits missing,and all in one peice.i turned it off quick,it cant be good for it smoking.
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    payno's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo S Type R
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbuzz View Post
    ok dont no whats going on here.... its me i no it..just put another relay in, turned the key started 1st time...bad ratteling noise and smoke coming from exhaust manifolds? hmm...but thankyou all very much..

smoke coming from the exhaust manifolds where it attaches to the engine? when i had to take them off, some of the studs,well most,came out with the manifolds..that a big problem? i just done them back up..the gaskets looked ok? so i put them back on,wernt no bits missing,and all in one peice.i turned it off quick,it cant be good for it smoking.
    you sure its not just some oil on the out side of the manifold from your hands ect burning off

11. The Following User Says Thank You to payno For This Useful Post:

jjbbuzz (11-10-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    jjbbuzz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i s m44 + 328i m52
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996 + 1995
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by payno View Post
    you sure its not just some oil on the out side of the manifold from your hands ect burning off
    yep you are right.. god i really do worry to much..this i no for sure,its got a air leak from the kit i used on the m50 manifold conversion..! tut. i was never happy with it. got to remove the manifold again, wish i went to alpina in the 1st place. cant lash out anymore money.just got see if i can make this work.power steering pump was making a racket,till i topped it up..other than that i think its a gooden..no smoke or leaks as yet..
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567