328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Hi guys (and gals),

After a successful retrofit of a full electic hood to my semi-electric convertible, I decided my next plan was to be much more ambitious......

This time I am going to retrofit the on-board computer and climate control to my convertible.

Over the coming posts I will keep you informed of what is going on.

I will just say that - for now, I have acquired a donor car - a absolute ratter of a 328iSE on a 95 plate, but the gadgets all work.

As of today (22nd June) I have removed the on-board computer wiring from their source locations, basically I have removed the wrapping from the wires and taken them back to their source to be removed.

I have also made significant progress removing the wires from the car harness to the heater core (only got 6 more left to do).

So, I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Hope to see you all soon.

Andy

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Joe9087's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Sounds good, I'm sure if you take your time you'll get it done with little hassle. Good luck mate

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    arun_shu's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330cd M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Good luck and keep us posted

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Andy 328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Hi,

I wonder how many people have successfully performed this operation on their BMW's ?

I was reading on forums before I decided to accept the challenge myself about a guy with a 318iS who removed the loom from a M3

All I can tell you is, that personally I wouldn't have liked to be the one that had to remove the old loom and put it back in the other car!

I feel that the only option to retrace the wires back to their source and carefully remove them from their respective connectors seemed to work best for me.

initially on the first day of strip down between me and my mate (who has the 318iS troubles) pulled a few too many wires from the loom, but I wasn't to know that until after I had studied the connectors closely.

What I can tell you so far:

If you have a non-climate motor you will most likely find that you have only 1 heater core connector called X35, the wires on this connector are largely the same as the ones on a climate control motor with the following exceptions:

an extra earth wire (brown/orange) which would no longer be functional in a climate control setup and,

2x wires for the independant ventilation relay.

at this moment in time I have decided to not implement the independant ventilation system as I can't see it being useful in a UK climate.

Regarding the other connector called X10054 (a black connector) this is largely not present on non-climate motors, and where you will have some work to do. I have plumbed most of this in currently threading it neatly through the existing loom as to maintain originality.

Same applies to the wiring for the on-board computer.

One thing I've found is, that if the car had obc there is a comb connector (X228) which splits the white/black stripe wire to feed both the instrument cluster pin21 on the white connector and pin6 on the X1071 (white) connector on the obc, X228 is not used on non-computer cars, therefore to maintain originality I stole the one off the donor car and soldered it in. makes it all neat and disconnectable (if necessary)

For now, all is going well.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    M3NDEREZ's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    '93
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    'Vert
    Thanks
    Really interested to see how this goes. I quite fancy the climate control unit rather than the nasty little dials, and like you, I'm not bothered about the dual zone aspect. So long as it makes the fancs blow hot and cold on my feet, windows or face, I'm a happy chappie. Looking forward to seeing this done and dusted

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Andy 328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    UPDATE:

Well, the operation is 'done and dusted'.............well almost anyway!

There are a few things which are left to do, but to be honest, I may do these next summer:

1) Independant ventilation relay - I'm not too sure about the usefulness of this feature, particularly in a UK climate, but theoretically the On-board computer is able to provide cold air ventilation for a set period (via a user programmed timer) prior to entering the vehicle.

2) The air con compressor itself and all pipework connected to it.

The reason for not fitting the second one at this point is more obvious:

a) I can't get the aircon pump mounting bracket off the old engine (crank pulley has to come off and I don't have the necessary tools)

b) The condensor looks in shabby condition, as does the mountings, so i'll need a new one if I go ahead.

c) It involves drilling holes in the bulkhead for the aircon to heater core, as well as drilling a drain hole in the transmission tunnel.

Although fitting the air conditioning system is an inevitability because during running the climate control, I can say this:

I concur with others who have commented that Cold air isn't as cold with the climate control. I will try and find more concrete evidence of this when I take a multimeter to the heater valves tomorrow with the heater set on it's coldest setting. You see, BMW engineers designed the heater system to run hot if there is a failure with the heater system, which is very sensible thinking.

This also puts to pasture any suggestions that a seller can sell a car with engine cooling problems and blame it on the heater core because battery voltage is required to close the water valves, NOT open them! (a certain guy from Scunthorpe tried that one on me)

I also replaced the 'hedgehog' today, so the blower motor functions perfectly.

Again, it is difficult to put someone off performing the job at hand based on negative experiences with the system in other cars.

The way I see it is - it's alright for them to have at least experienced the system in operation, to even encounter the problems in the first place.

Therefore I decided that the digital system looks far better than the old analogue, despite it's shortcomings, I would not have the old system back as I like digital technology (I run a computer shop so I like gadgets!)

Just like the on-board computer, just having those 18 buttons makes the driving experience much more pleasureable.

It feels less like a car and more like a hi-tech fighter jet the more time I spend in it now!

The only advice I can give is - that unless you want to 'bodge' it in, you'll definitely need a donor car, either that, or know somebody who wouldn't mind you spending days on end pulling all the relevant wires from the loom.

The way I've done it is, that if this thing were built by BMW you wouldn't have known the difference - all the wiring is original, and I'm not a stickler for insulation tape, I used solder and heatshrink to make it all look as neat as possible.

I will post some pictures.

Regards

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy 328i For This Useful Post:

FAL (21-05-2012),Ronnie (30-06-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    kristols's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 316i (Retrofitted 318iS M44)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thank you Andy for being the first person to finally post relevant information regarding climate control retrofit in an E36

I´ve been planning a similar retrofit operation to my 318iS. The car was originally a 316i M40 1993 vehicle, with no other extras than a driver side airbag, central locking (standard maybe?) and electric heated mirrors. So the chance for an extended wire harness is not big..

I´ve already retrofitted a M3 OBC, by splicing intro already existing wires behind the instrument cluster, with great success I haven´t bothered having it configured for the M44 engine because of the BMW dealer around here thinks that the E36 is an old car belonging to the pages of history, and would rather see it being used to nail floorboards in place rather than driving on the road:(

some images from the installation ( in -15 degrees celsius I might add )

Anyway, I got my hands on a 1994 aircon heater core with harness on it, the "black box", the center electric vent, and the control panel. I´ve also bought a condenser, electric aux fan, compressor pipes and reservoir.

I studied the aircon heater core a while back, and discovered that most of the wires seemed to connect to the black box mounted on the right side of the heater core (on left hand drive models). Do you happen to know which wires other than power going to the engine bay? Is it possible to use the original wires?

In order to fit the condenser in front, it seems that a bracket or something needs to be mounted in the front of the radiator?

I´m driving my beamer every day, and do not own another car, so when I start a rebuild/retrofit/repair project I try to have the parts needed available when I set of I will post my observations and knowledge as it hopefully evolves when I start retrofitting next week

regards from Norway!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kristols For This Useful Post:

Ronnie (01-08-2009)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Great post kristols

That is some good work right there you two, be great to see the outcome

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Andy 328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Sorry I've been away so long, anyway, just thought I'd include a photo of the finished article, this was taken during my last photo shoot, when I fitted a set of 18's to her.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    holokid87's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i vert
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto soon to be manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert

Thanks
    hey mare how did you wire up the black plug, can you tell me where the pins need to go on the climate control?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast