1996 E36 325tds Touring - Central Locking/alarm issue

Notices
 

Thread: 1996 E36 325tds Touring - Central Locking/alarm issue

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. 1996 E36 325tds Touring - Central Locking/alarm issue 
    #1
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Mrs RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Mrs RYM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
    Mr RYM is just about to put some of the interior panels back on that he left off when working on the car.

    I want him to put the driver door panel back on also but he says he has to find a fault with the central locking/alarm. I want him to hurry up so can you guys help me to point him in the right direction please

    It seems that the car was broken into at some point and the door is slightly bent so the window keeps popping out and I've been told I'm not allowed to use it at the moment which is really annoying

    Here is the problem

    The central locking works fine on all doors when the key is used in the lock but when using the alarm fob all the doors except for the driver door will lock and unlock.

    Also can someone tell me why I have to wait for the yellow light to go out before trying to start the car?

    When the car is warm the light doesn't come on but it takes longer to start. Mr RYM says that this is common and there is a relay needed to help it start better. Where can I purchase this relay? I will get one and get Mr RYM to fit it for me
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1993
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    4,432
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Check the actuator and power to it on the door.
    Windows are virtually impossible to fix though-Thanks to hers indoors my passenger side popped out and the previous owner for some reason took the drivers side one out for a blow over and they never fitted properly again so I looked around and got two doors on Ebay for £20 which were a match to mine and replaced them-its about 10 mins work to replace a door and fortunately everything now works perfectly
     
     

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to xXxStKxXx For This Useful Post:

    Mrs RYM (18-04-2009)

  5.  
    #3
    BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    steve23002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Buckingham
    Posts
    11,712
    Thanks
    8,589
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    The alarm is tapped into the central locking control unit. As it is working on the door lock itself i would rule out the solonoid. I would have a look for the alarm/locking control unit and start looking for breaks and damaged wires between that and the locking unit first.

    The orange light is for the glow plugs. It heats the air up to aid cold starting, thats why you have to wait for the orange light to go out

    Mr Rym is 100% correct on the hot start issue. Its very common on these 2.5 diesels.
     
     

  6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  7.  
    #4
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth, Dorset.
    Posts
    20,398
    Thanks
    6,198
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    It does indeed sound like the actuator, what happens if you use the key in the passenger door? do all the locks go up still bar the drivers?

    If yes then it's the actuator(solenoid).

    Because you are locking the car with the key from the drivers it works manually.
     
     

  8.  
    #5
    Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Boostist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    8,035
    Thanks
    3,347
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs RYM View Post
    Mr RYM is just about to put some of the interior panels back on that he left off when working on the car.

    I want him to put the driver door panel back on also but he says he has to find a fault with the central locking/alarm. I want him to hurry up so can you guys help me to point him in the right direction please

    It seems that the car was broken into at some point and the door is slightly bent so the window keeps popping out and I've been told I'm not allowed to use it at the moment which is really annoying

    Here is the problem

    The central locking works fine on all doors when the key is used in the lock but when using the alarm fob all the doors except for the driver door will lock and unlock.

    Also can someone tell me why I have to wait for the yellow light to go out before trying to start the car?

    When the car is warm the light doesn't come on but it takes longer to start. Mr RYM says that this is common and there is a relay needed to help it start better. Where can I purchase this relay? I will get one and get Mr RYM to fit it for me
    Hmm. Is it an E36 touring yes?
    What do you mean by the window keeps popping out? you mean from the seal on the door?

    As a poster above says, it sounds like a faulty actuator in the drivers door. About £30 for a new one iirc
    New door will be easiest solution but it is tricky to find a matching colour door sometimes... depends on how popular the colour is and how faded it is etc

    What engine is this car? is it a diesel engine??!
     
     

  9.  
    #6
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Mrs RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Mrs RYM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostist View Post
    Hmm. Is it an E36 touring yes?
    What do you mean by the window keeps popping out? you mean from the seal on the door?

    As a poster above says, it sounds like a faulty actuator in the drivers door. About £30 for a new one iirc
    New door will be easiest solution but it is tricky to find a matching colour door sometimes... depends on how popular the colour is and how faded it is etc

    What engine is this car? is it a diesel engine??!



    I posted all those details in the thread title - just like the forum rules mentions - and like Mr RYM keeps reminding me
     
     

  10.  
    #7
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1993
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    4,432
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs RYM View Post


    I posted all those details in the thread title - just like the forum rules mentions - and like Mr RYM keeps reminding me
    Its good to keep the Mods on their toes though... uhoh what have I said
     
     

  11.  
    #8
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Mrs RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Mrs RYM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    It does indeed sound like the actuator, what happens if you use the key in the passenger door? do all the locks go up still bar the drivers?

    If yes then it's the actuator(solenoid).

    Because you are locking the car with the key from the drivers it works manually.
    That is correct

    If it's unlocked on the passenger side then the driver remains locked

    You cannot hear the central locking working on the driver door so sounds like it's the actuator

    Quote Originally Posted by StK View Post
    Its good to keep the Mods on their toes though... uhoh what have I said
     
     

  12.  
    #9
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth, Dorset.
    Posts
    20,398
    Thanks
    6,198
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    As for the window popping out when going up that can be adjusted on the regulator, A20 should know of this, otherwise see here http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ws/Pic2-01.jpg

    The picture marked B, it can be adjusted by tilting the arm and then tighten the bolt to lock it in place.

    Also get him to check the window sliders, picture C http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ws/Pic3-01.jpg
     
     

  13.  
    #10
    RYM
    RYM is offline
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    RYM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    12,959
    Thanks
    5,540
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Oh yeah...

    So this is the cause of the coffee not coming out whilst I'm working then

    Good to see you titled correctly and posted in the correct forum

    It does indeed seem like the actuator has gone

    I would've checked for power but my multimeter battery was dead Seems I may have left the power on whilst it wasn't in use

    I think since the door is bent slightly due to suspected break in and the actuator is not functioning I may pursue the route of finding a complete door of matching colour... I know there may be a slight difference but I'll just tell Mrs Rym that it's because it's cleaner than the rest of the car so that she has to wash and polish it........... LOTS
     
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts