1996 E36 320i Remote Locks fitting - Help! - Page 3

Notices

Thread: 1996 E36 320i Remote Locks fitting - Help!

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NealP View Post
    Something you learn everyday Rym. I was looking at some German schematics, so do you reckon it could be different for UK cars?
    I really do not have the foggiest as to why this is mate. All I do know is that the part numbers were supposed to be the same but there were massive differences.

One of the most obvious differences was the shape of the plug that connected to widow motor. 318is was square type and the M3 was oval WTF. There were more plugs going to the door handle on the old loom too.

It baffles the hell out of me.

Look at number 24 on both of these... http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...wreply&p=40677 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...g=51&fg=10they list the same but they were totally different. This is the only time that i've found a discrepancy whilst using realoem (perhaps my coupe was a Friday night car)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Lucas Adamson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i Nikasil M52
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    4 speed Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    E36 Touring
    Thanks
    A Friday night car for sure - look, they forgot to put any tyres on it! Your wheels are all wheel and no tyre!
    1996 (E36) 320i (M52) Touring

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Part of the reason the door wiring is different is because the early coupes have the interior light switch built in on the door lock unit, where as the later ones have it in the striker plate, this also does the up down of the window when you open the door

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i Nikasil M52
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    4 speed Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    E36 Touring
    Thanks
    Does nobody know where the blank socket is for the remote locks unit or alarm unit?

There must be one somewhere. I have searched other forums and got some inkling, but nothing very clear.

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Adamson View Post
    Does nobody know where the blank socket is for the remote locks unit or alarm unit?

There must be one somewhere. I have searched other forums and got some inkling, but nothing very clear.
    I'm not sure I understand what it is you're looking for here. Perhaps i'm just having a dumb moment???

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i Nikasil M52
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    4 speed Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    E36 Touring
    Thanks
    Well, the looms are designed so that the spec can be upgraded at the point of purchase. It's the same on all cars. So, if at purchase or ordering the car, I asked for remote locking, certainly available in 1996, or a factory fitted alarm, which also integrates with the central locking, there would be a loom socket designed for such a module to plug straight in. It's the same with all manufacturers. Now, when fitting an aftermarket remote locking kit, or an alarm, finding this is pretty important, as it gives you all the wires you need in one place, usually in the dash.

Make sense?

I didn't mean it about your wheels by the way - they look awesome, if a little un-pneumatic. Do your wheels hit the mudguards over bumps? Or are your shocks so hard that they don't move up and down at all?

All the best
    Lucas

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i Nikasil M52
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    4 speed Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    E36 Touring
    Thanks
    OK, so I found it (kind of). But it totally works and I'm going to make it easy for anybody else in my position, because this has been a bit of a learning curve....

Behind the glove compartment is a black plastic unit containing several wiring sockets and a space at the top for a factory alarm. On the middle row of sockets are a black, a yellow and a green plug. The centre plug is yellow, and it contains all the triggers for central locking. There is a nice bay above to fit the remote locking brain. The cables can be cut super short and neat when installing here (retaining fuses on the cables is a good idea though). Open and close signals are positive trigger, meaning that a connection from +12v will activate them, and are located at pins number 4 and 17, which are adjacent, 4th from right top to unlock and 4th from right bottom to lock, within the yellow block. Remove the yellow plug and then the brown inner block from the yellow casing. There is only one pin to 4 & 17 (I forget which), so you have to push a wire into the other, but it should make a nice connection if you do it properly, and tie the bundle together. The other, I spliced into the wire and fitted nice shielded connectors. Then connect + & - to any constant + you can find and the - to the body.

It all works beautifully, so thanks to everybody who's helped me out (NealP, Ronnie, A20 RYM).

All I need to do now is to connect the flashers up....any ideas? A blue wire and a grey wire were mentioned...I'd like to find something without going right to the indicator switch if possible...after the indicator relay perhaps? Any ideas appreciated.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucas Adamson For This Useful Post:

dr_shabzzz (20-12-2010),Ronnie (08-12-2008)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i Nikasil M52
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    4 speed Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    E36 Touring
    Thanks
    All I need to do now is to connect the flashers up....any ideas? A blue wire and a grey wire were mentioned...I'd like to find something without going right to the indicator switch if possible...after the indicator relay perhaps? Any ideas appreciated.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Carpe diem's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I've just done this mod myself and i'd like to find out about the flashers aswell... I've also got the auto close feature for the windows i've still got to figure out.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Wtfay.co.uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Hi all, any luck with the wiring? I am trying to fit a FMA3 with remote start etc but the wiring is all different colours. For instance to convert to remote central locking it shows to connect the orange from the alarm box to the yellow on the central locking, orange and black to the yellow and black, white to white, white and black to white and black, this is where I lose it bacause it then says yellow to orange and yellow and black to orange and black. I cannot find any orange or orange and black on the central locking module. Should I connect to the woires that plug into the module or befor this connection? Any info would help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123