BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1996 E36 318is converted to 1998 328 EWS

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Deklan325 
#1 ·
Hi there

I completed my convertion yesterday, however i cannot get the car to run. I have changed the ews box, key, transpoder etc. Before the car would turn over with the old key, ews box etc. So i changed them to the 328 ones, which will then marry up with the ecu. However the EWS Box on my 318is is black and the one that i have installed from the 328i is white? The boxs also have diffrent HW and SW numbers. Counting the pins the 328i also looks like its got another wire on it. Does anyone know anything about this and the best ways in which to solve it.

Cheers

Deklan

#4 ·
today i continued to play check everything you lot said, im not so sure its ews now becuase, the engine turns over now which indicated the ews has disabled correctly, to check the 318is internal looom will connect with the 328i loom correctly? becuase there are extra wires in the loom which dont marry up?? any help would be great the conversions done apart from this :(

#6 ·
Can you confirm that you have changed over the ECU, EWS module from behind the glovebox and the EWS chip from the keys please:thumbsup

I didn't see the ECU mentioned but I'm guessing that you have changed this. Sounds like a silly question but this has been the case on many other conversions:hihi

Also, check that the crank sensor is plugged in correctly;) Trust me, I've been caught on this one:rofl

What battery are you using? The 6 pot requires a lot more cranking

#7 ·
hi yer, change the ecu, ews and key over have tryed with others too so im pritty sure its not ews, the battery is turning the engine over fine, there is just no fuel and im pritty sure there is no spark to? Any ideas could it be todo with the wiring becuase the engine had traction control and my 318 does not thus i just havent wired it up?

Cheers
Deklan

#10 ·
any ideas any one??? 1998 traction control is the only thing i dont have wiring for and well the OBC everything else is there, car turns over but there no fuel and i dont think there a spark ran a connection to the fuel pump and it powers up fine, really need to get it running for traks running out of time really quickly any help would be great cheers deklan :(

#19 ·
So so everyone knows i solved this in the end, turns out that the jump connection in the front of the engine bay if installed without the leads for the battery will not power the ECU becuase the bottom connection that runs off to the ecu is connected to the jump point. The device im taking about looks like this:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.