BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1996 E36 316i Saloon - Alarm Flashes But No Noise??

4K views 50 replies 5 participants last post by  Saunders 
#1 ·
Well, I recently found this out the other day.

Tested the alarm by leaving one door open and locking it, the indicators all flash, but no noise?

Any help would be appreciated :D

#30 ·
Ok, maybe not sorted?

All fine today etc.

Got home from work, accidentally locked it with window down. The indicators flashed and the alarm was 'clicking', not actually going off how it should. Was not locking probably, after I done the window up I couldn't just lock it, the alarm kept going off.

Anyway, was weird, so I got in it. Took it for a quick 2 min spin round the block, now it seems to lock ok. But the noise it made when I lock/unlock it, isnt as noise. It's just like the click? :shifty:

#32 ·
This is really weird.

Before when I tested the alarm, I would leave one door open, push the button to lock, then it would go off.

Now my alarm is buggering up, if I leave my driver side door open. It doesnt lock, push the button and the alarm just starts flashing/clicking. ?

#35 ·
Right, this is obviously not fixed.

It has messed up again.

So it seems to be I have it connected for a day, then it dies?

Is there some sort of battery in the alarm which could be messing it up?

To sum it up, I connected it up last night (again after the same issue) and it worked fine last night and this morning. Drove to my girlfriends straight from work, locked it, and it did it again.... The alarm goes off (hazards) but no siren, can just hear the siren clicking sort of thing. So I hit my keyfob and it turned off. Then when I left I hit my keyfob to unlock it, and the alarm flashed on, but door didn't unlock, pushed it again, and it unlocked. As I got home I pushed the button to lock it, it locks, then I waited, right I was the alarm comes on but no siren just as before. So I pushed it again and now it's locked.

How weird?!

#40 ·
Well I left it in there, and no hope. Still wasn't charging. So I disconnected it and connected it up as I did before, and the siren doesn't go off at all now. So I assume it's the battery? I unbolted the siren and could see no obvious way of getting it apart. And wanted to ask, if I replaced the battery, would it need reprogramming?

#43 ·
Right so I've left it unconnected since my last post. Ever since I've been playing with it, the fob can now be unresponsive sometimes, taking 2 or even 3 times to lock/unlock. This indicate anything? I'm wondering if it's worth connecting it back up at the weekend and seeing how it goes. If not, next step will be to take the siren apart and look at the battery. But I just need to be 100% this won't mess up my c/l and need reprogramming.

#50 ·
When the alarm is fitted from new the siren wires are not fitted into the plug as it won't go through the hole in the bulkhead. Once they have been poked through they are a one-time push-fit into the plug behind the glovebox. There is no way of getting them out without destroying the plug, believe me I've tried!

Easiest way is to cut them near the siren as described above, the wires should be as follows...

1. Brown
2. Brown/Red (
Orange on some siren wiring)
3. Black/White
4. Violet/Grey
5. Black (Black/Red or Brown/Violet on some siren wiring) This goes to the bonnet pin-switch on the 3G(Mk2)
6. Red

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.