Model of Car:
    Compact 316 With 2.0 Straight 6 Conversion
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Thanks
    Hi im new to this forum so hopefully im posting in the right section. I have recently bought this car and the price reflected the tlc she needs, the problem listed with her when i bought her was as follows;

"the engine is missing a carbon filter and the air box has been removed to accomodate the cone air filter

The down side to this is shes down on power till 3 1/2 thousand rpm then then she pulls like a train,"

On the drive home i got to see what this ment exactly, up to 4.5k on the revs there is very low power, so low cruising at 80 on the motorway if you come to a hill dropping down to third only just lifts the revs enough to stop you going backwards. Above 4.5k she pulls like a machine, absolutely rapid.

The car has had a cone induction kit fitted but seems to have 2 plugs or sensors that are just hanging next to it

I thought this problem was going to be an easy fix but after the 60 mile journey home i parked her up and after a few hours returned to the car to go back out to pop to the shop a short while away, after getting out of the car i noticed what i can only describe as a F*** off big pool of what seems to be fuel underneath the car and a trail of it behind, it seems to be when ive lifted my foot off the accelerator and i havent been to check today whether it is leaking steadily whilst stood still, i will check this tomorrow.

Im not sure if the fuel leak problem is connected to the problem with the running or the air box, but i do have a question,

The fuel pump on the 320, 325 and 328 seems to be the same, and if the car was a 1.6 when the 2.0 engine was put in does the fuel pump need to be changed during the conversion, as id assume the pump for the 1.6 would be underfueling the 2.0 engine therefor giving the loss of power, and having to put pedal to floor everywhere may be causing some sort of fuel overflow?

Obviously i'll be taking a closer look over the next day or two but i was wondering if there were any members on here who have experienced similar symptoms at all with these cars or with the engine conversion. i have owned a few bm's and know my way around well enough to get the problem fixed im just unsure of the problem at the moment.

I have attached a picture of the engine to show the type of filter and engine

thanks
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    adamantia's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Not sure about the pump.

Is there a large cylindrical canister below the cone filter/air flow meter? If not they have removed the charcoal canister as described in the ad. This canister absorbs fuel vapours that try to escape the fuel tank when it heats up (such as on a hot day), then release them into the engine when it is hot. If this canister is missing and they haven't blocked the pipes off, you might get a fuel leak there.

This could also cause a power loss, but then so could many other things (such as a bad mass air flow sensor). Those types of filters often damage the air flow sensors, so don't rule it out yet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to adamantia For This Useful Post:

KingJayT (24-02-2012)

Bfuk Legend
    Car Details
    RJB328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    350i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    2 door vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 4,238 Posts
    I could be wrong here mate, but that air flow metre and cone look like there from a 1.6 4 pot engine mate, unless it was use on a non -vanos engine like yours and also the engine breather hose does not lead to where it suppose to ie under the manifold

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RJB328i For This Useful Post:

KingJayT (24-02-2012)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    KingJayT's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Thanks
    thanks for the replies guys much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by adamantia View Post
    Not sure about the pump.

Is there a large cylindrical canister below the cone filter/air flow meter? If not they have removed the charcoal canister as described in the ad. This canister absorbs fuel vapours that try to escape the fuel tank when it heats up (such as on a hot day), then release them into the engine when it is hot. If this canister is missing and they haven't blocked the pipes off, you might get a fuel leak there.

This could also cause a power loss, but then so could many other things (such as a bad mass air flow sensor). Those types of filters often damage the air flow sensors, so don't rule it out yet.
    no i dont think its there, but will take a look tomorrow to confirm

Quote Originally Posted by RJB328i View Post
    I could be wrong here mate, but that air flow metre and cone look like there from a 1.6 4 pot engine mate, unless it was use on a non -vanos engine like yours and also the engine breather hose does not lead to where it suppose to ie under the manifold
    is that the yellowish coloured pipe? it leads down and back round under the block connecting to a black hose, and with the cone filter im thinking of removing it all together and getting a standard air box with panel filter, all the work was done on the car when i bought it so its mainly guess work with their bodge jobs at the min lol

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    KingJayT's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Thanks
    After another look today, it was raining when what looked like fuel was coming from the underneath and today was dry so there was just a wet patch, i poured some water onto it and it looked like fuel again, after a closer look i found the power steering pump is leaking fluid so no fuel leak.

Allthough when i jump in the car and turn the ignition on to hear the fuel pump priming it sounds on its way out as it is loud, like a strimmer.

So only problem i have really is the loss of power up to 4.5k on the revs, im thinking of sourcing an original air box and filter and replacing the induction kit it currently has to see if that fixes the problem, i will attach pictures to show you the condition of the cone filter and the sensors that are not plugged into anywhere. I have also added a pic of the breather pipe i think you (RJB328i) were talking about
    Attached Images

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ultimo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    eg36 328
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    i'm having the same problem with my 328 with the lack of power and toque and then it goes like a bullet after 4.5k, I've had it hooked up today and I've been told its the air senor fault, so i'll keep you updated when i get round to fixing this, mines got a really rough and cammie tick over now to ??

but i've read on here that its best to replace it with an oem senor ? is this really ture ?

anyways i'll keep you posted when i try replacing that

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ultimo For This Useful Post:

KingJayT (24-02-2012)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    adamantia's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJayT View Post
    Allthough when i jump in the car and turn the ignition on to hear the fuel pump priming it sounds on its way out as it is loud, like a strimmer.
    Are you sure this is the fuel pump? The ABS unit often makes a lot of noise at this age. Mine groans like mad, but still works.

You could check the fuel filter and see if it looks new-ish. A blocked one can cause loss of power and other faults. They are cheap, but I think yours is in the tricky place, on the engine firewall below the intake manifold.

You have no vanos to worry about, which is actually good at this point.
    The unattached metal 'pin' is the temperature sensor that would normally be in the airbox to record air temp. The pipes going to it are coolant to maintain it's temperature.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adamantia For This Useful Post:

KingJayT (24-02-2012)