BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1995 E36 m3 immobiliser/ews problem

33K views 72 replies 8 participants last post by  19-bad 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
hi guys, i have a '95 3.0 m3 with a std bmw alarm(3g) mk1 and ews

over winter the battery died, i dont know how long for as i dont use the car in winter.
when i charged it back up the car had forgotten the alarm remote.
i could lock/unlock the doors with the key but not the alarm remote.
after a bit of meessing about, with the key and buttons, i got the remote working again.
now the alarm works as it should, but i cant get the car to start
it was all working fine when i parked it up.
when i turn the key i get ign lights, but then turn to crank and nothing happens.

i can hear any relays clicking, no starter, cant hear the fuel pump priming but not sure if i should?
theres a permanent live at the starter but no signal when cranking.
does this sound like a ews/immobilser fault?

nothing i do will make the car start.
any ideas on how to get the car going again?
cheers

See less See more
#61 · (Edited)
Even tho i got it started how come the double lock thing doesnt work?
Ill try it tonight to see if it unlocks when i turn the ign on now that my key works, but the petrol flap doesnt lock, and i can unlock the car by pullin the interior handle.
Does my car not do double lock?

And y did the car run with a different ecu but all my alarm/ews/key.....
Im gunna try fittin my dads ecu but the rest my parts and see if it runs still, just out of interest.

#62 ·
Maybe this double lock issue is connected, maybe it's not.
Yes, yours should double lock.
I would be tempted to try your dads ZKE. It'll rule that out. It'll only take a couple of minutes to try it !

You need to find out why your's stopped working in the first place (I suspect the OBC), so I wouldn't bother swapping your dads gear in again, kinda pointless, and you could end up back in the situation you was in.

#66 ·
right, i got the car all back together.
i tried my dads zke but its different to mine, his has 2 plugs on the back, mine only has 1 so couldnt plug that in.

when i plug my obc in the car doesnt start, does this mean it wants a code?
ive plugged my dads in and the car starts as normal.

with it all back together properly i still cant do the double lock thing.

but hell its back together and starts on the button again :)

#67 ·
Your dads ZKE will fit - Your ZKE has 1 connect on the back because it's a Coupe or Vert, and your dads has 2 connectors on the rear because his will be a Saloon or Touring ! The second connector is used for the rear windows.
Will still work in yours though !

So your OBC is at fault then !

If I was you, i'd just remove the cable for the Code function - It's useless anyway, it can EASILY be disabled !
I believe you need to look at the white connector on the OBC, and remove Pin 1 from the connector (Or you could cut it, but if you just remove it you can easily add it back if i've got it wrong). I just can't find my wiring diagram I had for the OBC.

#68 ·
Glad you got sorted, a great Bimmerfroums team effort.

I guess this could have been a combination of things and the OBC was the last item holding out on us!

As for the OBC Ferret remembered it right - It is the Black/Green wire at pin 1 of the white plug.

Feel free to donate if you haven't already and don't forget to order that second key...just in case!

#70 ·
yep mines a coupe his is a saloon. lol well done.
ill take the cable out out mine and give it another try.

i only found this forum the other day while googling ews faults lol.
i signed up a few yrs ago but then obviously never come back for whtever reason.
i wish id stayed here before tho, it looks a wicked forum. and its huge to. lol

very good effort from every1 on this thread.
thanks a lot guys.

i do have another problem i need help with, but ill give it a little while before bringing that up lol.

and i will be donating, its saved me going to a pro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.