1995 E36 316i Compact - Fog lamp help!!!! - Page 2

Notices

Thread: 1995 E36 316i Compact - Fog lamp help!!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    I'm not familiar with the type of connectors you will have on them, you may need to chop the connectors off and use "lucar" terminals, If unsure then post a picture so we can see

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Richie Twinz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i Compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    cool, thanks again Ronnie. As soon as they arrive i'll get a pic up.
    Rich

4. Connectors 
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    Aus318is's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e21 323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hi Rich - I did the orginal post. The fogs generally use H1 bulbs and will have a positive wire (red) and a ground wire (black). Usually they are a male spade connector. You can ground the fogs locally, or do as I did, take a wire from the furtherest light back up to the relay location and ground the fog lights there. pm me if you have further qs as it is a complicated mod, just need to take it slow and follow all the steps.

regards Chris

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i Compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Hi chris,
    thanks for the info. The lamps and relay have arrived, please tell me this is the correct relay!!! When i bought it it stated it was a fog lamp relay for an E36 but I've posted a pic just for confirmation.
    I look forward to confirmation before I start fitting them! Oh, I've also posted a pic of the connector but if I can wire them up straight from the bulb terminals it doesn't really matter does it?
    Many thanks,
    Rich

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aus318is View Post
    Hi Rich - I did the orginal post. The fogs generally use H1 bulbs and will have a positive wire (red) and a ground wire (black). Usually they are a male spade connector. You can ground the fogs locally, or do as I did, take a wire from the furtherest light back up to the relay location and ground the fog lights there. pm me if you have further qs as it is a complicated mod, just need to take it slow and follow all the steps.

regards Chris
    This will be very helpful of you Aus318is, any chance you could do the write up here though please as it will be most helpful for future reference

I often search out threads that I have seen and post them as links in threads that require similar information

7. Wiring fogs from scratch... 
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    Aus318is's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e21 323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Here is original post - no photos but should be explained in diagram attached.

Don't know why no wiring loom with BMs purchased without the lights, but reasonably easy to put some in and wire them up. Need relay (with two 87 connections - one for each light), about 3-5 metres of good single strand wire, cable ties, in-line 30A fuse, female spade connectors, a couple of the round connectors for earthing and some of those connectors that allow you to connect a wire to an existing wire (they crimp down and the blade slices into the insulation connecting two together). You will also need a wire stripper and a pencil tester.

Drill hole into shock tower mount and find a suitable self tapping screw - this will both hold the relay in place and provide a ground for the lights and the relay. Connect the positive on both lights using two suitable lengths of wire which will connect to the relay at pins 87. Connect the furthest light's negative with wire which will connect to the earth you have created at the relay mount. Take a shorter length of wire and connect the other light's ground to the other light's earth wire using the in-line connectors that crimp together.

Take a short length of wire and connect the ground pin 85 on the relay to the mount screw. Attach the relay to the shock tower. This should have two ground wires, one from the lights and one from the relay.

Using the in-line fuse, create a power wire which takes power direct from the battery or the positive terminal in the engine bay if battery in boot and provides this to the relay pin 30. Don't connect this yet (last task).

All you need now is a power source to trigger the relay into taking the power and delivering to the lights. I assume here you have a rear fog switch.

The fog switch takes power from the lighting circuit when it is on. Using a test pencil find the wire that comes on when the lights are turned on, but goes off when the high beams come on. Next, when the low beams are on, identify the wire that provides the output to rear fogs - this will go on and off as the fog light switch is turned on and off.

Cut the wire that provides the power source to the switch allowing about 20 cms or so to connect to another power source.

Using the test pencil, identify the wire in the park/low light switch which has no power when lights are off, but has consistent power when parks, lows and highs are one - on my 318is it was a grey wire. Using an in-line connector, connect the cut wire from the fog switch to this wire. What this will do is provide a power source to the fog switch when any of the lights are on and won't switch off your fogs when highs are on.

Now take a wire from the relay pin 86 and push it through the firewall. Connect this to the fog switch's out wire - the one that comes on and off when the fog switch is depressed. Connect to the relay's remaining pin 86.

Now connect the wire from the relay pin 30 to the battery's positive terminal.

Tidy up the wires with cable ties. You can also spend more time and solder the connectors and use insulation tubing to tidy things up.

If you have done things right, when you turn on your parkers and then depress the fog switch power will flow to the relay which flicks an internal switch to take power direct from battery to fogs.

Attachment may help.

regards and good luck.
    Attached Files

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i Compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    OK, just looked at H1 bulbs but there only seems to be 1 spade for connection! I take it this is the live connection so my question is how is it grounded???

Cheers,
    Rich

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    You may need to buy some connectors/terminals. like these for example http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=14&doy=Search

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Aus318is's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e21 323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    The flat base of the bulb is the ground and there will be a post on the light assembly which you will need to ground - pm me pic of the rear of the light assembly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12