Model of Car:
    316i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hi I have been looking into getting a remote central locking system and after advice on here went with this oneh
    ttp://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=673

It has been dispatched but now I am worried about the fitting of it as in the instructions it states the following

To disable the factory immobiliser a replacement ring antenna/transponder reader from BMW is required and a spare ignition key. The part number for the ring antenna is 61 36 8 364 710 or 71 36 8 364 709.

2 methods are available:

Bypass immobiliser at all times, secure a spare key to the new ring antenna making sure the key is as central as possible in the ring. Unplug the existing antenna and plug new one in it's place and hide under dash, you may also want to cut the key shaft so of found by a theif it can not be used.

Bypass immobiliser only through remote start:
    Wire the new antenna through a SPCO relay and secure a spare key to it making sure the key is as central as possible in the ring. Hide the new antenna under the dash and at least 18 inches away from the original antenna to prevent them clashing. you may also want to cut the key shaft so of found by a thief it can not be used.

What I would like to know is has anyone fitted one of these systems? If not does this make sense and will I have to order a new ring antenna or can I get one from the scrap yard? I already have a spare key that I can use.

All help needed as this is coming soon. Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    F20 M135i LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newbbie View Post
    Hi I have been looking into getting a remote central locking system and after advice on here went with this oneh
    ttp://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=673

It has been dispatched but now I am worried about the fitting of it as in the instructions it states the following

To disable the factory immobiliser a replacement ring antenna/transponder reader from BMW is required and a spare ignition key. The part number for the ring antenna is 61 36 8 364 710 or 71 36 8 364 709.

2 methods are available:

Bypass immobiliser at all times, secure a spare key to the new ring antenna making sure the key is as central as possible in the ring. Unplug the existing antenna and plug new one in it's place and hide under dash, you may also want to cut the key shaft so of found by a theif it can not be used.

Bypass immobiliser only through remote start:
    Wire the new antenna through a SPCO relay and secure a spare key to it making sure the key is as central as possible in the ring. Hide the new antenna under the dash and at least 18 inches away from the original antenna to prevent them clashing. you may also want to cut the key shaft so of found by a thief it can not be used.

What I would like to know is has anyone fitted one of these systems? If not does this make sense and will I have to order a new ring antenna or can I get one from the scrap yard? I already have a spare key that I can use.

All help needed as this is coming soon. Cheers
    sounds like a complete bodge to me.. in essence you're bypassing the built in immobiliser.. if someone gets into your car (which lets face it isn't that hard these days) then it won't take them much effort to get it started.. (i.e. no fuel pump cut off and no starter motor cut off)

you normally get what you pay for - i wouldn't bother changing it unless it was for a decent CAT 1 alarm and immobiliser (i.e. Toad Ai606 or Clifford G5 650 MKII etc)..

* 2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20): current
    * 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200d AMG Line (X156): current

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pangster For This Useful Post:

newbbie (05-01-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    billywhizz1984's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i x 3, 325TDS x 1, 320i x 2, 318is x 1
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 x 2, 1998, 1997 x 2, 1996, 1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring x 4, Convertible x 2, Coupe x 1
    Images
    Thanks
    Going back to your previous post...

1995 E36 316i saloon Car won't start!

I think you've misunderstood how the immobiliser works or I'm not understanding how you want to use this system.

You are buying a remote locking kit that comes with "flip" fobs and uncut key blanks. To make this work with your current immobiliser (EWS II) you split the key open, remove the chip, and place it inside your new fob. When you insert the key in the ignition the induction ring picks up the chip, disables the EWS and allows the car to start. You only need to bypass EWS if you plan on setting up remote starting which doesn't come as part of the system you have identified.

Have a look here....

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...y-guide-t9795/

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billywhizz1984 For This Useful Post:

newbbie (05-01-2011),sparkyuiop (05-03-2011)

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pangster View Post
    sounds like a complete bodge to me.. in essence you're bypassing the built in immobiliser.. if someone gets into your car (which lets face it isn't that hard these days) then it won't take them much effort to get it started..
    Plus its illegal to leave a car running without a driver

Remote start is rubbish, wastes fuel, cokes engine, makes easier to steal. I had one in my other cars. Wouldn't bother with them again way too many theifs about

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shamM3 For This Useful Post:

newbbie (05-01-2011)

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    F20 M135i LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billywhizz1984 View Post

I think you've misunderstood how the immobiliser works or I'm not understanding how you want to use this system.

You are buying a remote locking kit that comes with "flip" fobs and uncut key blanks. To make this work with your current immobiliser (EWS II) you split the key open, remove the chip, and place it inside your new fob. When you insert the key in the ignition the induction ring picks up the chip, disables the EWS and allows the car to start. You only need to bypass EWS if you plan on setting up remote starting which doesn't come as part of the system you have identified.

Have a look here....

/\ ahh! - that makes sense now!!.. the way the OP had written it - he was going to fit this kit and then bypass the immobiliser!!

\/ EDIT: it appears as though he IS.. LOL!.. good luck with that newbbie!

* 2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20): current
    * 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200d AMG Line (X156): current

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pangster For This Useful Post:

newbbie (05-01-2011)

12. Rclick keyless entry 1995 316 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    newbbie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hopefully the alarm would alert me but who knows, I think I will have to take the chance as it is coming soon. Is the antenna ring the same as the ignition barrel and if so do I have to get one from the dealer or can I pick one up from the scrap yard?

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    newbbie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billywhizz1984 View Post

Have a look here....

Sorry did not see your reply before I posted again, so what you are saying is that I can put this system in and it will open the doors remotely but the immobiliser does not need to be touched as I will only be activating it when I turn the key in the ignition? Sorry to sound so dim but I really am so new to all this and am trying to learn.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newbbie View Post
    Sorry did not see your reply before I posted again, so what you are saying is that I can put this system in and it will open the doors remotely but the immobiliser does not need to be touched as I will only be activating it when I turn the key in the ignition? Sorry to sound so dim but I really am so new to all this and am trying to learn.
    exactly, the immobiliser is only concerned with engine starting, and is separate from the alarm

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

newbbie (05-01-2011)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    newbbie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
    exactly, the immobiliser is only concerned with engine starting, and is separate from the alarm
    I had a read at the link to the thread that billywizz posted and it shows how to transfer the transponder into the flip key, I have two keys, one looks like the master and the other the valet but they both start the engine, would that mean they both have a transponder in them as I thought only the master did?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    billywhizz1984's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i x 3, 325TDS x 1, 320i x 2, 318is x 1
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 x 2, 1998, 1997 x 2, 1996, 1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring x 4, Convertible x 2, Coupe x 1
    Images
    Thanks
    All keys for your car will have a chip. Each new flip key you make will have to have a chip from one of the old keys in it. You don't need to touch anything to do with the antenna or immobiliser. The difference between the master & valet keys are purely about what locks they will physically open. Chip-wise they are both the same.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to billywhizz1984 For This Useful Post:

newbbie (06-01-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast