BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1995 E36 316 Handbrake light goes off, why??????

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  kib 
#1 ·
hi guys,

this is my first post on bimmerforums, so hi to everyone.

right when i turn on my car, the handbrake light, lights up and then goes off after a few seconds, even though the handbrake is still on. i have checked the switch next to the handbrake lever and everything is connected. so if anyone has any ideas of what could be the problem then i would be very grateful. I have a 1995 E36 316i.

thanks

Colin

#4 ·

... Yup, mine does it. It's a check.
(If you let it go then re-apply it then you should see it light up again - if not....Fault)

Reactions: Lamper
#6 ·
sounds like someone has removed your clocks and wired it up to something else like abs light or something, probably becos it was on constantly due to another fault like dodgy switch by the handbrake or a short. If it used to work then it could be shorting behind the clocks. Its gonna be a case of investigation im afraid

#8 ·
Can I refer you all to that great mystery source of knowledge, the owners manual.

Version viii, 1997, Page 19, Warning Lights, states the following -

Handbrake, Red - Goes out after the engine has started. Comes on when the handbrake is applied.

So in other words....

If the handbrake is off when you start the car the light should still flash on & off on start up.

If the handbrake is on when you start the car the light should flash but then remain lit until you release the handbrake.

#9 ·
i dont think anyone really understands what i am trying to say, when i start the engine (with the handbrake on) the light comes on for a few seconds, then goes out. if i take the handbrake off the light stays off, if i put on the handbrake the light stays off, this is the problem. regardless of whether the handbrake is on or off the light does not come on.

#11 ·
Refer back to what Billy has posted..... The light will illuminate at startup, then go out if theres a problem or if the handbrake is off.

The light should stay lit if the handbrake is on, and no problems !

So obviously a fault somewhere - Start by removing the handbrake gaitor and make sure the wire is still attached to the switch !

#12 ·

Dude ... There's no problem... Enjoy your car! :thumbsup

#13 ·
handbrake light 316i

I too have an e36 316i SE (1998) and I have the same problem. When I turn the ignition, the handbrake light illuminates (like all the other lights) and switches back off. It does not illuminate again even if the handbrake is up or not. Anyone know what the problem is? Is it telling me that I need to adjust my handbrake?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.