BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1995 E34 525tds engine wont turn over

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  tiny2403 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 525 tds tourer, just bought it three days ago it had a dodgy wheel bearing on the back so put it on the ramp to fix it. It would appear that i left the tailgate open and the batterys went flat, charged the battery and tried ti start it, it wont turn over.
BMW say because I left the key in the ignition this has wiped the memory of it and the imobiliser has kicked in and that is why it wont turn over, me not sure at the moment, cant get a key at the moment because BMW wont give me a key until the log book is in my name so will have to wait for it from Swansea. Any one with any ideas?, no supply to the starter on starter initiation.:frown

#2 ·
It shouldn't really be the immobiliser, if it is, it'll need more than a new key anyway.
I would say try charging it more, or having it connected to another running car.

With a weak battery, a BMW won't attempt to turn over, and hide a low battery.
If it's an auto, make sure it's in park / neutral, and try locking and unlocking the doors too

#5 ·
ok, charged the battery and tried a different one but still wont turn over, all the central locking etc works, relays fire up in the engine bay but it still wont turn, just to clarify there is no 12v present on the starter when the key is turned. Its got me stumped, it drove into the garage battery went flat with the key in it now its dead :frown. So went to bm main dealer today to order a new key just in case anyone have any ideas??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.