1995 E34 520i saloon - rear windows and locks.

Notices

Thread: 1995 E34 520i saloon - rear windows and locks.

Reply to Thread
  1. 1995 E34 520i saloon - rear windows and locks. 
    JKB
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    JKB's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    My newly-acquired 520i has a couple of problems around the rear doors and I'd be grateful for some pointers.

Rear offside door: Central locking doesn't work. Window works OK whatever position the Safety Switch is in. The boot remains locked unless the door lock button is lifted manually.

Rear nearside door: Central locking works. Door cannot be opened from the inside whatever position the child lock is in, there is no resistance when the door catch is operated. Window doesn't work whatever position the Safety Switch is in. When the driver's window switch is pressed, a click can be heard from the rear seat area.

I gather from other similar threads that I need to be looking for blown fuses and iffy connections under the rear seat and I realise some of the problems might be mechanical rather than electrical but is there anywhere else I should be looking?

JKB.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    gerry m's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hi JKB

With regards to rear nearside window not working, but a click can be heard, this is a sign of the window motor being stuck, if you remove the door card and slacken off the fastenings on the circluar part of the drive motor gearbox, this can loosen up the motor, and it may start working again, (been there done that)

Rear offside door central locking not working, this is probably the actuator, not an easy item to change but there some quite implicit instructions at....

bmw4life.com/doorlockactuator.htm
    Rear nearside door no resistance when door catch operated, this is probably a displaced linkage, check with door card off.

Hope this helps.

Gerry M
    Last edited by gerry m; 05-04-2011 at 15:50. Reason: spelling mistake

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gerry m For This Useful Post:

JKB (05-04-2011)

JKB
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    JKB's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I've made a bit of progress with the nearside door. I lifted the rear seat to check the fuses and the fusible link but all seemed well.
    Removal of the door card was the next step, I broke a couple of the white plastic clips but I'm hoping it will go back on without too much bother. It was obvious that the motor was trying to move the window, in fact I could hear the engine revs dropping if I held the window button in
    Levering the mechanism to give the motor a hand didn't seem to do much but sliding a thin blade between the window and the seal appeared to free it off a bit and the window now goes up and down OK. It did stick down once, which was a worry as the car has to live in the street, but a bit of a shove got it going again.

I now realise that the safety switch only disables the switches in the doors, so that's working as it should.

The problem with the inside door catch is a broken cable. Are they available as a separate spare?

Having carefully placed this post in the Electrical forum it looks as though most of the problems are mechanical but at least progress is being made.

JKB.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

JKB
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    JKB's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Well that's that all resolved.

Nearside door:
    Window going up and down like a lady of the night's drawers (i.e. as and when required). A new cable (around £3 from a main dealer, which was less than I expected) sorted the inside door catch and a bag of trim clips from eBay allowed me to put the door card back easily enough.

Offside door:
    As suggested, the central locking problem was a faulty actuator, eBay to the rescue again and all's well.

JKB.