This morning on the way to work I stopped off at a petrol station to pick up something for lunch and when I returned to the car I couldn't get it started.
I'll bullet point the info for the sake of clarity:
- BMW 840 (4.0), 85k miles
- New pair of genuine BMW batteries fitted 2 weeks ago
- Fitted with aftermarket alarm/immobiliser (professionally fitted over a year ago)
- Engine Temp normal
- 1/2 tank of fuel
- Last driven 3 days ago with no issues
- When turning the key to position II, the car powers up. Dash lights are bright and a turning on the radio/lights seems to suggest that everything is powering up nicely.
- Turning the key a little further to start the engine does nothing (apart from dim the dash lights ever so slightly). No noises. No nothing.
- No check control errors
- I'm trying to start the car in P/Economy as usual. (This is correctly displayed on the dash)
- I had previously experienced this problem (around March) and wondered if it was battery related but I have since replaced these. I was also using my other key this time
Last time this happened I phoned the RAC and tried the car one more time when I got off the phone. At that point it started so I had to call them back and tell them not to send a patrol after all! With this in mind, I decided to leave the car for 20 minutes before calling today. Still no luck so I called the RAC. Just like last time, I went back to the car and it bloody started! Is it possible that my car is exhibiting attention seeking behaviour?