Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 956 Posts
    My wife's car, as above, does not turn on the interior light when locked and door handle raised.

While investigating window alignment and stiff handle issues / rattles I found the two pin female yellow plug attached to the car loom dropped in the bottom of the door and a two pin white male plug hanging from the handle.

The white handle socket has a different keyed outer shape, but if I pull the black plastic retainer the pins can be withdrawn and look like they would fit.

I haven't inspected the switch with an ohm meter to check operation / earth paths yet.

Just wondering if this is a knovn issue / fix?
    Last edited by E36Coupe328; 30-07-2010 at 20:38. Reason: Minor title alteration!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    billywhizz1984's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i x 3, 325TDS x 1, 320i x 2, 318is x 1
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 x 2, 1998, 1997 x 2, 1996, 1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring x 4, Convertible x 2, Coupe x 1
    Images
    Thanks
    My recollection is that only cars with the winter comfort pack (heated washer jets) have the door handle lift courtesy light.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Joe9087's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Please can you edit your thread title to follow the forum rules (see Posting Rules and How To Edit Thread Titles below).

E.g. 1994 E36 328 - Interior Light and Door Handle issue.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    E36Coupe328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    A vehicle specification query has not shown a "Comfort pack" to be fitted to this car.

This is for my wife's 94 325i Coupe, but I think the handles are engine agnostic, hence title.

The interior light is a perceived problem.

The only hard facts are I have two spare connetors that almost fit, and that the car has had two new door locks and handle assemblies complete with odd keys.

Thanks

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Joe9087's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Although the handles may be engine agnostic, we still ask for our threads to be titled in the correct way

So please edit the title to read: 1994 E36 325i Coupe - Interior Lights & Door Handle issue/

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Edited, did the "go advanced" bit but so far only showing in first post of thread but showing old 328 bit from somewhere in title in the forums

Anyway...........

Both plugs, yellow on car loom, white on handle

Yellow plug with plastic retaining clip

White plug with black plastic retaining clip removed showing extracted terminals

Last edited by E36Coupe328; 30-07-2010 at 21:15.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Well I had a look at the door handle and the wires from the white connector both appear to go to the lock barrel.

Used an ohmeter to check resistance as both the lock barrel and handle were operated and didn't seem to have any effect...........

The yellow plug has wires that are White with Red trace and Red wth Green trace.
    The white plug to the door handlle / lock unit just has two brown wires.

Come on folks, If I asked about the wiring in a Manta door on that forum I would have an answerin 30 seconds, ok it would be that there aren't any wires in a Manta door but that's not the point.

Anyway, I impact adhesived the door pockets back to the door panel, replaced the clips with new ones from the dealer B51.41.1.973.500 £0.14 each + VAT

With the two stray connectors zip tied up (still disconnected) and new clips, secured door pockets the door cards now fit properly and the doors are rattle free.

I'll worry about the wires on the next pass.

FYI the locks were replaced with:
    B51.21.8.199.923 + 924 Not much useful info on real oem about them

No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

Free Gas Kit* now fitted to free 328*

*Based on ROI period exceeded

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    carbers911's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    The yellow plug on the loom is designated for the 'door lock switch' so will have no bearing on the operation of the interior light.
    Im annoyed because I did tons of research on this recently but either forgot to take pics/notes or have misplaced them.
    One thing is for certain, the yellow and white connectors were never designed to be joined so pulling them apart and mashing them together will not produce the desired effect.
    As billy says, if there is no winter comfort pack its fitted this is all irrelevant as regards the interior light, more importantly though I assume the c/l is working fine?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carbers911 View Post
    The yellow plug on the loom is designated for the 'door lock switch' so will have no bearing on the operation of the interior light.
    Please clarify the above as when my car (328 not the 325 I'm talking about in this thread) is locked and alarmed lifting the door handle DOES turn the interior light on, so obviously some interaction is possible, though I bon't know what exactly but have read there are different handle / lock switches and different switches integrated into the door catch. Although happy to write that off as part of the "Winter comfort pack" that is does not have.

By "door lock switch" do you mean something integrated into the handle / lock barrel that had a switch in? If so I'm assuming that is exactly what the white connector is for as it goes to the lock barrel. Hence that might imply just the connector has changed but the compnents or "use" on either end has not hence "making it fit" might well be the correct course of action?

Im annoyed because I did tons of research on this recently but either forgot to take pics/notes or have misplaced them.
    One thing is for certain, the yellow and white connectors were never designed to be joined so pulling them apart and mashing them together will not produce the desired effect.
    Well that kind of remains to be seen as no one has told me exactly what the purpose of the "stuff" the yellow connector is supposed to connect to is. If the purpose of the stuff on the handle attached to the white connector is the same then that might well be the appropriate course of action.

As billy says, if there is no winter comfort pack its fitted this is all irrelevant as regards the interior light, more importantly though I assume the c/l is working fine?
    Central locking works fine on the non factory alarm and with the key

To sum up:
    If the yellow connector is for 'door lock switch' and the white connector goes to a switch on the door lock, well at the end of the day the wires in the yellow connector will either be seeing a resistance or a polarity and if it is the same function they should be connected.

I suppose the missing information is:
    Does the yellow plug go to a flying lead on the handle lock barrel?
    What's the purpose / function of the stuff on the handle lock barrel connected to the white connector?
    Is that the same function as what the yellow connector should be connected to.

Circular debate at present.

No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

Free Gas Kit* now fitted to free 328*

*Based on ROI period exceeded

Banned
    Car Details
    Ferret's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,638 Posts
    My Saloon which i'm breaking has the Winter comfort, and when the handle is lifted, the interior light comes on, and it heats the door lock barrel.

My new Coupe, doesn't have the Winter comfort pack.

What I will do, is remove the door cards, and compare connectors, and see if I can find what exactly these connectors are for.
    If it's not raining after work, I will take a peak.

Ferret !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast