Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible

Thanks
    When i purchased the car i was informed the roof had been diconnetected ie the lever under seat pulled, well i have put motors back in as i seen the video in an older post and when i press the button foor the roof the flap drops down and stays down and no other movement

is there anything i could check to narrow the problem down or solve

also i have noticed that the roof ecu was not screwed in so im assuming its been touched before

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Garyslee's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 328i cab M3 replica
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible
    Thanks
    Can you hear any noise from any motors? Is the roof up or down? If the red lever has been pulled, you should be able to raise and lower manually, Can you do this, or is the roof jammed.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    D bmw's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyslee View Post
    Can you hear any noise from any motors? Is the roof up or down? If the red lever has been pulled, you should be able to raise and lower manually, Can you do this, or is the roof jammed.
    I can use the roof manually and all moves quite simple although when pulling it up is bit stiff but am assuming should be like that, as for motors cant say i did hear anything but i cant press the button and listen as ive not been able to get someone to press the button while i stand at the back to check cheers

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Garyslee's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 328i cab M3 replica
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible
    Thanks
    Best thing i can say is to get another person to press the button whilst you listen, if the tonnou cover lifts, it may just need a bit of a helping hand. Also try it with the engine running, so the motors arnt sapping the battery.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    D bmw's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyslee View Post
    Best thing i can say is to get another person to press the button whilst you listen, if the tonnou cover lifts, it may just need a bit of a helping hand. Also try it with the engine running, so the motors arnt sapping the battery.
    Thanks i will get someone to do for me, the cover doesnt lift it just closes shut and locks so moves about half inch, i have tryed witht the engine running and turned of no difference thanks

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    D bmw's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible

Thanks
    To update i have had someone press the button while i listen and none of the motors are working / making a noise, also the 3 fuses are fine

Bfuk Legend
    Car Details
    RJB328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    350i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    2 door vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 4,238 Posts
    here you go mate

Resetting the Convertible Top

This is the procedure to reset the E36 convertible top in case you have used the emergency release handle that’s located under the rear seat*. This works on the author’s ’97 which had the fully automatic top. It may also work on other E36 models and years. The owner’s manual says to take the car to a Dealer for service but why do that when the procedure is so simple [APPARENTLY!!]

The owner’s manual describe the method for closing the top manually, presumably in case you have a dead battery with the top down and it starts to rain! The top mechanism is driven by two electric motors that are located in the trunk/boot – one for the lid of the storage bin/compartment and for the top itself. Closing the top manually requires releasing the two motors from their transmission drives [using the afore-mentioned lever*, which, through a cable release mechanism, causes the motors to pop away from their drives], pulling the top out of its storage bin/compartment and then using an Allen wrench/Allen key [from the tool kit in the boot] to fully close and lock the top to the windshield. The Allen wrench/key gets inserted into a socket that is hidden behind a plastic cover at the leading edge of the top, and then you turn it many, many times to stimulate the action of the electric motor. NOTE: there are interlocks between the storage bin/compartment lid and the trunk that prevent you from opening both at the same time.

Once the two motors have been disengaged, the top can only be operated manually – the LED in the control switch blinks, and the owners manual says you have to take the car to the Dealer to reset the correct operation of the top. The reason is that the two electric motors have to be re-engaged with their drive mechanisms and also re-synchronized with each other [you wouldn’t want the top to crash into the lid of the storage bin].

Never fear, there is a fairly easy way to reset all of this yourself! The following is courtesy of Brett Anderson, who came to the author’s rescue on this topic. He was having a new subwoofer and amplifier installed in his car, and the installer had the rear seat out when he decided to pull on the release handle to see what could happen [it has a red tag on it that just seemed to scream ‘pull me’ -- who could resist?]

First, manually open the top, placing it back into its storage compartment, and then close the lid of the compartment as far as it will go. You may need to push down the lid so that it closes far enough to allow you to open the trunk/boot [there’s a safety interlock that prevents the trunk/boot from being opened if the lid is open at the same time]. Working inside the trunk/boot, remove the carpet liner from the left side of the trunk. There are two plastic clips that hold the liner in place – you can pry them out with a screwdriver. Behind the liner are the two motors that work the mechanism -- one drives the top and the other is for the lid. Each motor is mounted on a spring-loaded pivot mechanism. The gears on the motors normally engage the gears for their respective transmission mechanisms, but when the lever is pulled the motors pop away and disengage.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    D bmw's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible

Thanks
    Thanks i tryed the re set thing i seen the video in another thread but thats gave me no joy either and the motors make no noise when engaged or disengaged

Bfuk Legend
    Car Details
    RJB328i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    350i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    2 door vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 4,238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D bmw View Post
    Thanks i tryed the re set thing i seen the video in another thread but thats gave me no joy either and the motors make no noise when engaged or disengaged
    are you sure both are fully engaged as i had this problem with mine, check the ecu internals there can get water in them and blow

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    D bmw's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible

Thanks
    Thanks they are both fully engaged and i have had the ecu out blew it and wiped it down think gonna try new ecu see if any joy there cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast