BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1994 E36 320i interior light

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  mimen 
#1 ·
Hi all i have a problem with my interior light that is driving me mad just now
The light itself works just fine,what it won't do is come on when you open the doors of the car no matter what position the interior light switch is in
If i press the switch one way the light will come on and stay on which is what it is supposed to do, if it is set to come on when you open the doors the light will not work.
Is there a fuse that works this?? also i can't seem to find the little button on the inside of the door jam that normaly operates the interior light
any help will be good
cheers Keith

#5 ·
It'll be the door switches.... It's behind the latch in the door shut !
W4vy, both of yours could have had it, your switches (assuming they haven't been replaced before) will be 16 years old.

Does the light work at all ? Unlocking the car.... Ignition off.... ?

EDIT: Thats a good point that Steve made, do your windows drop ?

#6 ·
yes m8 the windows do drop but my drivers side window mech and door latch switch are broken at the minute. I've got a replacement just need to fit it but I remember before it broke the lights didn't work then so ?

EDIT: I'll fit the new parts tomorrow and then test the lights. If they still don't work I guess it's the passenger side door latch switch ? but the window drops so ?

#9 ·
Like they said above, there is a little switch in the latch. I was having problems with my driver door ( window wouldnt drop and the light would stay on forever, then i noticed the switch. It was well worn down but i swapped the latches from the drivers to the passenger door, and hey presto all fixed!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.