Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I have been on the hunt for a cruise control system to retrofit to my car for some time now. Unfortunately they are very rare in the UK, and thus are expensive.
    I have also been considering swapping my steering wheel for a later M-style one. This led me into looking at the earlier (pre 03/1999) e39 wheels, as they can be retrofitted into an e36 with minimal work. The advantage is that they are much more common, and I could get a multi-function wheel to use with my stereo (bonus)

This led to me thinking. Is it possible to use the cruise control system from that same e39 as well? The MF steering wheel would also include the cruise control buttons, and providing I got the wheel from a 6-cylinder 5 series (which has the m52 engine, same as later e36s) the actuator mechanism and brain should be the same (or very similar).

From looking on RealOEM, the part numbers and dates are different between the m52 e36 cruise systems and the m52 e39 systems, but the mechanisms look the same, and some parts are shared.
    Crucially, the e39 system still uses a completely separate control unit ('brain'). It seems strange that BMW would produce two completely different systems to do the same job on the same engine when the two cars were being built concurrently. I figure the differences in parts were likely down to the different switching mechanisms (e39 had the switches built into the MFS, e36 was another, separate stalk).
    If I pull the entire cruise system from an e39, including the MFS with the cruise buttons, the only 'connections' to my car would be at the throttle and the switches for brake and clutch. I feel that I can probably manufacture or adapt the system to connect to my car at these points.

There are two points I am still concerned about though. The first is that my car was built 2 months before a switch-over occurred for the cruise systems in the e36. The change was permanent for the rest of the e36 production run, and the cruise system remained the same for all m52s in the e36. Would my car be able to use the cruise system from a later m52 e36 without much trouble? Has anyone retrofitted cruise to a pre 09/1994 m50 engine using a cruise system from a later e36? If so were there any issues? Is the m52 throttle body a completely different design to the m50 throttle body, namely the connections for the accelerator cable and cruise control cable?

My second question is basically what people think of my idea and any possible problems?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    JerCotter7's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    The E39 steering wheel is 15mm bigger than the E36 one. If you have the M3 steering wheel you can swap the buttons from the E39 into it and stick with the E36 steering wheel. Also if you get the cruise module from the E46 if is easier since you don't need an MFL module. As long as the module has HW: 08 SW: 04 written on it.

The wiring harness would be your main problem. If you can get the E36 wiring harness it is completely doable. You could make a harness if you can find the actuator and module connector. From what I remember of fitting mine that was all that was really needed. I put the E36 one in first and I'm swapping it to an E39 MFSW with an E46 module soon. Putting in a CD43 as well with steering controls.

This is all from reading research I have found on the subject.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JerCotter7 For This Useful Post:

adamantia (13-02-2012)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    adamantia's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanks for the input.
    I will probably still use the E39 wheel as I can get the whole MFS wheel, with all buttons and cruise system for the cost of just the E36 cruise control (if I could even find one at the moment).

From further reading this seems to have been done, but not to a pre 09/1994 car like mine. Since i'm changing the slipring anyway, there are no incompatability issues on the electronics side of the car (apart from some rewiring of the horn connectors to different pins on the slip ring).
    My main problem now is how does the cruise bowden cable attach itself to my throttle body? Do I need a different throttle body, or can the cable be adapted to connect?

If anyone has retrofitted cruise to their pre 09/1994 car, any input would be useful. Though anyone who has retrofitted cruise to an e36 will still be helpful.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    JerCotter7's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I have more PDF files and pictures but I can't upload them. I can email them to you if you want? They helped me when I installed mine.

HOW TO: Install BMW Cruise into your non-cruise manual M3, with pics! - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Also since you are installing cruise control I don't think pre-1994 matters all that much since you are using an E39 system.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JerCotter7 For This Useful Post:

adamantia (13-02-2012)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    adamantia's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Cheers, that link is very useful.
    After much searching I found that the difference in cruise is because of different throttle body designs.
    My M50 engine uses a 'lever' action for the throttle. This means the bowden cables have a rigid end that just apply a pulling force. The M52 throttle body uses a rotating cam, so the bowden cable ends are flexible so that they curve round the cams. I believe I should be ok changing the M52 type bowdens to fit my car, going from M52 to M50 bowden type seems much harder.
    My scrappy is sourcing me the parts, so hopefully tomorrow I will know if I can have everything.

Weirdly the wiring scares me the least as I have done quite a lot to my E36. The only real concern is the airbag wiring.
    However this will be quite a time-consuming mod so may wait a while until I have the time to do it properly.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    JerCotter7's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    There wont be any wiring for the airbag. The E39 slipring has to be pre 1999 so all the wiring would be to the cruise module and the radio.

BMW E36 MFSW retrofit pictoral DIY - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Joylove retrofitted cruise control to his car as well. He's the one who sent me all the links and information I have on mine as well.

EDIT: I can't say anything about the throttle body as I have no idea. I bought mine as a kit for an M44 engine so go all the parts needed. I then decided to change it to an E39 MFSW buttons in an M3 wheel with an E46 cruise module. And to my earlier point about the cruise module, if you don't have a HW04 SW08 you will require the E39 switch to turn the CC on and you can turn it off with the wheel. Newer modules were able to turn on and off at the wheel. And also E38 will do for all the parts as well as far as I know.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JerCotter7 For This Useful Post:

adamantia (17-02-2012)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    adamantia's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Well I have finally got the parts... most of them anyway. The scrappy messed my order up a bit, so I'm missing the wiring looms for the cruise system. I will have these in the future, so for the moment I will get on with installing the actuator, steering wheel and slip ring.
    I'm also unsure whether the brain unit is actually for the cruise control. I need to check the part numbers tomorrow.

I have the parts from a june 97 car, so the cruise on button is built into the steering wheel. The wheel itself is a bit grubby so need to give it a proper clean first. The slip ring looks good, as you said the airbag shouldn't need any work, providing the connectors are the same? Hopefully I can get on with the work tomorrow!

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    steve88's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    did you get round to fitting this? i'm almost ready to fit cruise to my e46 318 (m43 engine), i think i'm just missing the clutch switch and the loom that connects the actuator clutch switch and brain unit. not having much luck finding a diagram

Car Details
    edber's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 520D LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
    did you get round to fitting this? i'm almost ready to fit cruise to my e46 318 (m43 engine), i think i'm just missing the clutch switch and the loom that connects the actuator clutch switch and brain unit. not having much luck finding a diagram
    Welcome to BMW Retrofit guides

15. The Following User Says Thank You to edber For This Useful Post:

steve88 (27-01-2013)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    steve88's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    it seems that the z3 guide looks like it could be useful, the e46 guides dont seem to cover my engine (m43)