1994 E36 320i auto trouble getting to work with 92 320 motor help !!!

Notices

Thread: 1994 E36 320i auto trouble getting to work with 92 320 motor help !!!

Reply to Thread
  1. 1994 E36 320i auto trouble getting to work with 92 320 motor help !!! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    jamie1983see's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    a
    Car Body Type:
    sedan

Thanks
    hi guys,

heres my problem i recently had a 92 mod n/v 320 manual i smashed so i got a 94 mod single vanos auto with blown motor cheap. i put the 92 motor in and got a loom off a 92 auto and used my ecu out of 92 and got a 92 auto computor 2 i got it all going but the auto wont shift and the light on the dash comes on and it goes in to limp mode.the 2 plugs next 2 the fuse box both 25 pin dont match up the female plug off 94 has 9 pins in use but the loom i have the male plug has 13 on it would this be the reason the auto is not changin or will it be that im using the ecu motronic out of the 92 manualeverything else is fine is there any 1 that has herd of a 92 motor being used with a 94 auto b4 im new 2 all this so im sorry if i havnt worded it all right is there some way i can ad wires 2 the plug or something its doing my head in tryin to work out why its not shiftin and limp moding please help if u can shed any light on this for meee thanks in advance.........i have a whole e36 320 im wrecking 2 so any help and ill give u any of the parts u want 4 free i just wont my baby back on the road!!!
    Last edited by jamie1983see; 12-10-2010 at 22:42.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    a
    Car Body Type:
    sedan

Thanks
    any sort of advice would be great i am at a dead end cheeerrrrssss

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie1983see View Post
    hi guys,

heres my problem i recently had a 92 403mod n/v 320 manual i smashed so i got a 94 413 mod single vanos auto with blown motor cheap.

i put the 92 403 motor in and got a loom off a 92 403 auto and used my ecu out of 92 403and got a 92 auto computor 2

i got it all going but the auto wont shift and the light on the dash comes on and it goes in to limp mode.

the 2 plugs next 2 the fuse box both 25 pin dont match up

the female plug off 94 has 9 pins in use but the loom i have the male plug has 13 on it

would this be the reason the auto is not changin or will it be that im using the ecu motronic out of the 92 manual

everything else is fine is there any 1 that has herd of a non vanos motor being used with a 94 vanos auto b4

im new 2 all this so im sorry if i havnt worded it all right is there some way i can ad wires 2 the plug or something its doing my head in tryin to work out why its not shiftin and limp moding

please help if u can shed any light on this for meee thanks in advance.........

i have a whole e36 320 im wrecking 2 so any help and ill give u any of the parts u want 4 free i just wont my baby back on the road!!!

Lets try a bit of text formatting!

So which bit have you changed? just the autobox or the whole engine?

I guess the N/V 320 manual was trashed, and you are reshelling this into a vanos auto

http://www.wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

There are some wiring diagrams there if you need them

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    403 btw is the ECU code for a non vanos, and 413 is the Vanos ECU, but the 413 brother is only used on the 325. The 320 vanos used a Siemens ECU and a whole bunch of different sensors.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    a
    Car Body Type:
    sedan

Thanks
    het mate well i got the 94 320 single vanos but the motor in it was cooked so i pulled it out and put in the motor out of the 92 n/v,i changed both the computors and the loom 2 suit the now 92 motor.But the auto is the 94 model so the loom doesnt match up at the plugs next to the fuse box on the auto plug the the 92 loom has 13 pins in use but the the other half of the plug that runs into the fuse box witch is the 94 only has 9 pins in use..wen i go to drive the car the switch next 2 the shifter sport,econ and snow the econ light doesnt come on and it just stay in 1st gear but then i flick it in to snow and it shifts 2 second an thats it then the light on the dash comes on and it goes in 2 limp mode the red light on sports and snow comes on

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    The way i see it, you have 2 options, one is swap the new car to manual, you certianly won't be the first doing an auto to manual swap.
    The other option is go through the wiring diagrams, and locate the differences between gearboxes.
    I imagine it might be a different gearbox / ecu that was expecting the Siemens 320 ecu on the other end, and the change is a bit too much for it.