BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1994 E36 316 coupe with M3 rear light problem

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Dez-Derek 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I bought a 1994 316 coupe not to long ago, I got all lights to work and then they failed. But looking at the bulb holders it doesn't look right at all. On each bulb holder there is a wire going onto a contact on the holders... All I can think is that this is an earth? Surely it shouldn't be like that and should be wiring to the board. Still got all the plugs etc... going to the lights, just weird why is like that.

M3 lights have been put on to it. Anyone got any tips.

Can only get one brake light to work, reverse lights and one fog light.

#3 ·
How would I tell mate... I believe they may be :S

From what I can if was looking at right hand light head on, this is the order of the lights
Reverse Light / Indicator
Brake Light / Fog Light / Side light.

Should the brake light be dual filament? Like most, do brakes and tail light?

Really confusing me... Looked at diagrams but all proper wiring diagrams and not picture ones where electrics confuse me but mechanicals dont

#4 ·
Well, post facelift rear lights only has 1 rear fog light (drivers side) and i think the connections are a bit different compared to pre facelift. I think you can also get an adaptor for this problem. No, brake light bulbs are single filaments, but the outter red tail-lamp should be dual.

Lights on post-facelift should be;
Passenger side
Indicator/Reverse
Tail-light/Tail-light/Brake

Driver side
Reverse/Indicator
Brake/Tail light/Tail and Fog light

#5 ·
Well, post facelift rear lights only has 1 rear fog light (drivers side) and i think the connections are a bit different compared to pre facelift. I think you can also get an adaptor for this problem. No, brake light bulbs are single filaments, but the outter red tail-lamp should be dual.

Lights on post-facelift should be;
Passenger side Driver side
Indicator/Reverse Reverse/Indicator
Tail-light/Tail-light/Brake Brake/Tail-light/Tail and fog light

That sounds about right to be honest mate. Its weird how the whole passenger side isnt working tbh.

#8 ·
Circuit board as in, you just put the bulb in the bulb holder and screw it on the back, and then a group of wires leave the metal thing and connect to a connection? Or something else like wires coming from the bulb holder?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.