e34 m5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    hi all.
    right, bear with me, as to be honest, unfortunately, when it comes to hands on stuff, i'm pretty useless. i've read the relevant guides here, and must say a huge thankyou, as they are very helpful and offer a wealth of knowledge.
    so, here goes, 1st i'm not sure if my fob is the3g mk1, or 3gmk2. its black, with the missing corner, and has 2 buttons, 1 red and 1 grey.
    for the past few weeks, when i've locked the car on the fob, all the doors lock, the alarm activates, but then the drivers door pings back open? so i just lock this 1 on the key, and all is well. when opening the car in the morning, everything opened fine off of the key fob.
    anyway, tried the car today, and as i pressed the fob to open, i heard the audible beep, but immediately thought it sounded, a touch quieter than normal, then went to open the door, but it had remained locked, in fact all doors were locked. i managed to open it on the key, but only the drivers door opened. if i try and open the rear door, by pulling the button up, it just drops straight down again in the closed position. with the alarm de activated, and door open, i noticed, the fuel filler cap remains locked??? is this the norm.

so, after reading the guides, (remember, i;m useless) i have replaced the batteries in both the key fobs i have, and tried unlocking the car via passenger side as instructed, but all seem fruitless, as the car still won't fire. it turns over fine, although some dash lights seem to flash abit oddly, abs and the like, but the car just won't go, it feels as if maybe the immobiliser has activated.
    does this seem right to those in the know?
    is there anything else i should be trying?
    or am i now best to go down the re program route, which, obviously concerns me, for a man with no knowledge, other than, oil, water, tyre pressures etc, i really am that bad, put tools in my hands, and you'd wet yourself laughing at the results

any help, advice, greatly recieved, also noticed if it helps, on the back of the key fob, a worn out sticker, that looks like it says, gemel italia
    thanks in advance, neil

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    It sounds like you may have a wiring problem in the bootlid. Check the loom where it runs into the bootlid for any broken wires. Its common for it to affect the central locking....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to steve23002 For This Useful Post:

chilistrucker (05-02-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    billywhizz1984's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i x 3, 325TDS x 1, 320i x 2, 318is x 1
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 x 2, 1998, 1997 x 2, 1996, 1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring x 4, Convertible x 2, Coupe x 1
    Images
    Thanks
    You sound like you've read my guide!

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...3g-ews-t39173/

I think there are two things going on here. If the car spins over it is not immobilised so the non starting is down to another issue, Check the bootlid wiring as Steve says plus the relays & fuses to begin with.

Unless your alarm was fitted much later in the cars life it isn't the BMW 3G system as this only came in post 1996. You may have the identical-looking Sigma system but you'll need to find the alarm module to check for sure. It is usually under the rear seat.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    chilistrucker's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e34 m5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    ok steve, will do.
    hmmm, car had an oils service a short time ago, and mentioned the occasional locking problem. the guy mentioned, about making sure the boot lock was in the right position, so, could make sense. i'll get it looked into, thanks mate!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e34 m5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billywhizz1984 View Post
    You sound like you've read my guide!

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...3g-ews-t39173/

I think there are two things going on here. If the car spins over it is not immobilised so the non starting is down to another issue, Check the bootlid wiring as Steve says plus the relays & fuses to begin with.

Unless your alarm was fitted much later in the cars life it isn't the BMW 3G system as this only came in post 1996. You may have the identical-looking Sigma system but you'll need to find the alarm module to check for sure. It is usually under the rear seat.
    i did indeed billy, i spent a long time reading all your great posts, and tried a couple of things before posting here. the info you have put here is top notch, well done mate, a major help to a fool like me

i just assumed that if it turned over, but didn't start, it would be immobilised, ha, shows my knowledge. right, so boot area looking fave at mo.
    think i'll TRY and make a start with fuses and relays first, i know if a fuse has blown, relays, er, well
    getting the rear seat up will be a start
    every now and then, i get a brake light circuit warning ping up on dash, wonder if it could be related.
    brake lines work fine btw

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Brake light warning is usually a faulty brake light switch aove the pedal....
    Keep us posted how you get on....

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e34 m5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve23002 View Post
    Brake light warning is usually a faulty brake light switch aove the pedal....
    Keep us posted how you get on....
    ha,ha, will do, i'm about to look into rear seat removal, then go out and give it a go, aswell as checking wires in the boot area, i shall prob spend most of my time with a blank look, and much head scratching

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e34 m5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    so, heres where i'm at.
    went out, and basically stripped most of the panels out of the boot, and took the back seat out of the car, (not bad for me.) started checking as many wires, (jeez, could not believe the amount of wiring) as possible for any breaks, splits etc, checked anything that looked like a plug, was indeed plugged in and connected properly, also pulled out every fuse and relay to check, no blown fuses, and all the connections on the relays appear fine. on someones advice, also disconnected the battery. when i reconnected the battery, the doors pinged back into life. turned the key, and it fired back into life, WHAT A RESULT just as my brother in law turned up to give me a hand.
    anyway we popped out as i had to get fuel, pop 2 halfords, and the jet wash, so in total the car was shut down, alarm armed etc a total of 3 times, all with no probs. pulled up back at home, and my bro in law went to shut passenger window, nothing, it was dead, got out of the car, tried the alarm, it arms, but this time, doors now won't lock, other than manually, and again car won't fire.
    we tried to have another quick look, but the light was against us, we managed to find alarm siren, under bonnet, by front passenger wing, and all appears well with that???
    what we did notice as the light faded, was the buttons for the electric windows are pulsing, you know how they illuminate at night, well you can just see this faintly flashing/pulsing very quickly, so we have popped the unit up, and unplugged it for the time being.
    so an afternoon of ups and downs, but still left scratching my head, i'm guessing that somewhere, in the car, a wire is broke/split/burntout or something, and its maybe causing all the wierd and wonderful goings on?
    so the cars in bits, the back seat is out, and the passenger window is open about 2 inches, deep joy.
    i'm at work for 3am, and don't know if i'm away for the week or not, looks like i'll have to go down the route of an auto electrician. gutted really, gave it a try, but now back at square 1 :(

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Gutted for you mate. These things can be a pain in the arse. Im not sure if there is a comfort module the same as in the E36. This little box of tricks controld the locking, windows, sunroof etc...This may have some sort of dry joint in it....

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Would be worth checking the fusible link from re-reading your problems.

See here, http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...sible_link.htm

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronnie For This Useful Post:

steve23002 (06-02-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast