BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1993 E36 325 AUTO Coupe - Wont start after car wash (FIXED)

6K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  xXNealXx 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I took my car to a car wash yesterday though id go for the whole hog with the under car wash and all, it was one of these ones that pulls you through, so there i was in the car wash the engine on the air con on and the radio on. About 1/2 way through the car was the car dies, managed to get it started but really lumpy, Get to the end of the car wash pull out of the car wash stick it into "D" and away we go, i make it to the other side of the road and it just dies completely pull over and there is water all in my footwells both the drivers side and passenger side. Managed after about 60 seconds to get it started by this time im starting to worry. Managed to drive about 1/2 a mile to the end of my road and it dies again except this time i cant get it to start at all, all it does it crank. Walked home got some family together to push the car the remaining 100M home, get the wet and dry vac out and sucked loads of water out.....Then though ill try it again, put the key in turned to pos II and the RPM dial went nuts!! Spinning round back and forth and just generally all over the place.....all the other elecs are fine i.e windows and fans radio and such like. I have had a dig about under the dash and its WET very WET, i have left it over night tried it at lunch it fired up for about 4-5 seconds then died again just back to cranking.

So here is my question, Where an earth could the water have gotten into the passenger cabin from and what could be in the cabin that would effect the starting of the car....i have checked the little hidey hole that the ECU is in as i have read that can fill with water.....that was nice and dry. So i am hoping that when it dries out that it should be ok and that looks promising from the 4-5 seconds.

Sorry about the long post but i wanted to cover all bases.

Thanks in advance

Adam

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry Adam, just got round to this post. The reason why you have water in the car is because the drain gutters located at the bulkhead are probably blocked with leaves, moss etc...so check this out. Most of the modules are behing the glove box, so you may have to remove it to see.

#4 · (Edited)
Thats brilliant thanks :) i will have a look at this ASAP would this only cause this to do this in extreme times such as a car was because as far as i can remember when i have been driving in heavy rain it has seemed ok. When you say bulkhead im assuming you mean the vent parts at the top of the bonnet where the slits are cut into the bonnet that then go into that plastic thing.

Thanks again for the info

Adam

#8 ·
Just an update for you guys,

Car has had to go into an Auto Electrician. The car was all dried out and it still would not start. Luckily it is a family friend and should not cost me too much.

I shall keep you all updated as and when i get updates :D

Adam

#14 ·
The e46 (and probably others) also has another point of entry for water. Not into the bulkhead, but definitely into the cabin area. Water apparently can (and does) get into the door area below the screen. The rubbery membrane that is fixed to the door (between the door card and the door itself) acts not only as a seal against noise but also as a water defence panel. If you have any work done in the door and the rubberised panel is damaged, get it replaced (around 15 quid). Save yourself getting wet carpets and steamy windows.

#15 ·
Fantastic cheers mate ill get that done as well haha, dont want it to happen again, Its taking me long enough to sort this one out, am having to resorting to getting the ECU repaired, Have found a few but by the time i have phoned up they have sold them haha.

Adam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.