BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1992 E36 Saloon - ZVM Cental locking module problem.

Tags
zvm
8K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  adamantia 
#1 ·
Ello peepl, I need to change my ZVM module as my CL, Windows and Sunroof are playing up. Done a little bit of searching and found that there are a few versions of this module part numbers ending in 569,100 & 621. Mines is 569 so will any of the other modules work and do the same job?? Any body have any knowledge about this? It would be really appreciated.
I have raised this issue in the e36 section too without any answers so sorry to any mods if this is rule breaking as such.

#3 ·
awlrite billy cheers... yeah i checked out the relay a while ago and it was fine. Changed the wires at the boot lid too. I think I will whip the relay out again tomorrow and double check as its easy to get to, just whip of the cover under the glovie then I can see it. I didnt realise this comfort relay messed about with the Central locking... thought it was only the windows and sunroof tbh.
My problem is more a CL issue now rather than the windows, the windows cut out every now and then but its the CL that goes everyday. I will get back to ya with my results big guy cheers bossman:thumbsup

#4 ·
Awlritey...got the relay out today for a goosey gander and on close inspection its fine. Tried the CL without the relay in and it still locked (well some of the doors lol).
Usually I remote CL lock the doors then they instantly bounce back up sometimes. other times when I lock it the nsr will stay open so I have to put the key in the door, open them then dead lock them so they all go down..doing my bristol citys in

#6 ·
Tbh billy I haven't checked the earth under the seat. I fitted an auto dim mirror few months back and wired it into the reverse signal so I fed the wire around the a pillars and down into the footwell. I checked the earth in the footwell while I was dwn there and it was spot on. I dnt have time tomorro nyt to do this, going out for dinner so it'l b thursday nyt before I get to this. I'll get back ti you and let you kno what is going down mate.
Cheers
Aldo :thumbsup

#7 ·
Well my dinner was cancelled tonyt so straight car i went and whipped out the seat to find this earth.......only to find when the carpet was up that there was no earth under there.
Only the one at the bulkhead in the footwell.

I took off the plastic wire covers and the air vent also and nothing. I dont know how to describe them but its like power feeds clips that wer down there. I know they arent the earths because they aint attached to the body...they were clipped onto little studs on the strengthening panel I'll show you a pic

So I decided to check out the earth at the bulkead and it was ok...I went round it with sandpaper anyways seen as I went that far and then built it all back up. Tried the CL and it worked first time....tried it 5 times and it all worked its supposed too. Happy Days! I'm surprised to say the least :). Now I will look out for this every time I try it in the next couple of days, I'm not saying its fixed because this it what my car does...works then it doesnt. Pain in the a**e lol. Motors ae. I will get back in a few days if alls well to keep you in the light.
Thanks very much :thumbsup
Aldo

#8 ·
Awlrite there... alls been well with the CL, untill yesterday and today. Went to open the car with the fob and all doors popped up and then immediatly locked back down...done it 3 times sunday.
Today I went ti the garage for petrol and locked it but only the OS locked whilst the NS stayed open...tried it twice with the same outcome.
Duno what to think of this its doing my nut in. Next chance I get I'm gona check out this loom in the boot again but I know this is ok koz Ive already check it three times.
Aldo

#9 ·
So, in summary

Boot wiring ok (but will do 3rd check!)
Earths ok
Comfort relay OK

Another option is that one of the front door solenoids is jamming up, causing the system to not "set" fully then it automatically unlocks. Is the action of the door handles & locks on both sides smooth?

This might also help you understand how the system works...

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/lock.pdf

#10 ·
So yeah to summarise mate

Boot loom ok
Earths ok
& Comfort Relay ok.

All door locks & handles work as they should when its working ok... when the NSR stays open and I try to push the pin down its really stiff, so I push it down so it locks then after that it'l b ok for a while.

The Windows wouldnt work again on the journey to work this morning so locked it (fine), went to work, on journey home the windows worked ok :confused. Wierd man so this is whats making me think the ZVM is o its last legs.

Where are all the earth points on the saloon..or common ones so I can check them all out.

See when I press the fob to send the signal to lock the doors...should it also lock the boot at the same time? It doent do this. If I need to open the boot I have to do it with the key so when I go to lock the boot with the key it dead locks everything...then i need to put the key back in the door to unlock it and get back in. nuts

Something in my head is telling me the boot actuator is gubbed but then why would this not lock the doors when I press the fob?:irked, particullarly the NSR as this is the one most prone to staying open when its being asked to lock...when I dead lock with the key it goes down ok. I thought about changing the NSR actuator too but the OSR sometimes stayed open too in conjunction with the NS...then th NSF had a shot of playing up.

Would a snuffed boot & nsr actuator cause all my symptoms or am I that unlucky that I have a snuffed ZVM,Boot & NSR Door actuator all at the one time??Plus dodgey earths lol dunno

driving me potting mate lol

#18 ·
See when I press the fob to send the signal to lock the doors...should it also lock the boot at the same time? It doent do this. If I need to open the boot I have to do it with the key so when I go to lock the boot with the key it dead locks everything...then i need to put the key back in the door to unlock it and get back in. nuts
I had this EXACT problem. Completely solved (with other things also getting fixed by doing this) by fixing shorts in the boot wiring loom. How far did you check the loom in the boot, did you check inside the boot by the light cluster, and also inside the boot lid itself?

#11 · (Edited)
I have noticed something interesting which may be the key to this prob.. not sure.

I have changed my interior lights from the standard bulbs to LED's and I have them turned on so when I open the door the lights come on but the LED's are still drawing a little power when ther off. It couldnt have been enough power for the old bulbs to turn on cause I've never noticed it before. I am thinking that this may be something to do with the door locks or latches as the latches have a little switch in em. Heres a pic of what I'm on about
On and door open

Off and car locked

Dnt know if this is a seperate issue or if its the car still thinking 1 lock is still open as such?? What do ya think.?

Sorry about this man I know its a lot, its just a bit too in depth now, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.... a problem shared is a problem halfed ae lol :D

#13 ·
Definetly big man....absolote mind Pain in the cheeks tho lol:D. I think what I will do is buy a shit load wire and chop out the boot loom to renew that,I know this is ok tho (feck it, it'l be piece of mind.)
What do you mean 'something like the lights (non standard)' mate? Funny you mentioning car stereo too...few weeks back I had the cd player on with the vibes up pretty loud then when the bassline kicked in the cd player cut out..thought that wass wierd. Do ya think it could be something here?

Cheers

#15 ·
okie doke bud tah. So eh not meaning this cheeki ma man by any means but can we therefor go back to my original question mate which is basically that I can find ZVM modules but will I need to get the exact same 1 or can I put in 1 with a different part number (newer version) ?? The newer ones I can find no bother. I dnt wanna go forking out the dough for one if it aint gawni work ye know :thumbsup cheers bill

#16 ·
Awlrite there..been a while since I updated this thread I just havent had a chance, been hectic the past while :-D but I thought I would let everyone know how I got on.

First of all after a few weeks had past since my last post in this I decided f*ck and took the plunge and bought a version 3 ZVM because my locks where driving me nuts honestly...so changed it over and voila!!It worked a blooomin dream. Brilliant!. 1 week later the windows started playing up again, couldn't believe it...done some more diggin around to no avail until for a few days until 1 morning my car wouldnt start, thought it was strange so I got a jump start and drove to work. All was well till I finished and went to come home, same thing...just dead..checked out the battery and it was on its last legs. Reading something like 10 Amps dont know how it actualy was working as 2 cells where completley knackered...bone dry. Got a new baterry from my uncle and now we have no problems. Very happy Chapie.
To summerize it was a new module needed and most definitly a new battery. and sorry but just for the record so that everybody knows incase this happens to any1 in future is that i suppose all 3 different part number modules do the same thing :thumbsup
Thanks for the help
Aldo

Oh yeah I still got the interior light issue but that seperate from the modules...I will get it fixed one day :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.