525i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWJOYMACHINE View Post
    The location of the LKM inside the fusebox illustrated in the photo via your hyperlink is replaced with an ABS module on my E34. Perhaps the LKM was wired into the American specification E34's? Sorry for the confusion but perhaps there is no LKM wired into my UK spec E34.

I'm beginning to think that this is a matter for a professional auto electrician with some experience of BMW.

Apology Ronnie the LKM is also marked ABS! I have located it and identified it correctly now. What should I do inside the LKM?
    Do you know what I need to do inside the LKM box?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    BMWJOYMACHINE's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Does the LKM box lift out? Does it unclip? I'm hesitant to unclip it for fear of breaking something.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    My BMW is a July 92 build. The LKM black box does not appear to lift out of the fuse box compartment?

If I manage to remove the LKM box am I looking for dry joints? Are the reversing lights and license plate bulbs all wired through the LKM? Just find the dry joints and touch them with a soldering iron and solder?

Any idea where the reverse lights and license plate circuits are located on the LKM PCB?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Have you checked the fuses Nos. 12, 15 and 5? And the bulbs

Are the wires for your licence plate lights grey/brown for the left and grey/brown/yellow for the right?
    There is a 30 pin yellow plug I think where the wiring routes down below the dash on the passengers side. I would check for voltage between a good earth and the above mentioned wire colours at this plug to determine if power is at least coming from the module when you switch on the lights.

Are the wires for your reverse lights blue/yellow? The reverse lights are not operated by the module. I think there is a black 30 pin plug in the same area and you should check for voltage at the blue/yellow wire with reverse gear engaged and ignition on. There should also be a splice connector under the rear seat where you could also check for voltage on the blue/yellow wire.

If both of these checks show you have voltage then I would say you need to check the harness where it passes from the body to the tailgate.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gildersol For This Useful Post:

BMWJOYMACHINE (23-04-2010)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gildersol View Post
    Have you checked the fuses Nos. 12, 15 and 5? And the bulbs

Fuse No 12 is 15amp
    Fuse No 5 is 10amp
    Fuse No 15 has no circuit and no contact points in the fuse box.

Are the wires for your licence plate lights grey/brown for the left and grey/brown/yellow for the right?

Yes wires are ditto the above colours.

There is a 30 pin yellow plug I think where the wiring routes down below the dash on the passengers side. I would check for voltage between a good earth and the above mentioned wire colours at this plug to determine if power is at least coming from the module when you switch on the lights.

I had a look in the passenger seat footwell but could not find the 30pin yellow plug you mention. Can you describe it's location in more detail? Do I have to remove any covers?

Are the wires for your reverse lights blue/yellow? The reverse lights are not operated by the module. I think there is a black 30 pin plug in the same area and you should check for voltage at the blue/yellow wire with reverse gear engaged and ignition on. There should also be a splice connector under the rear seat where you could also check for voltage on the blue/yellow wire.

I have just been to have a look to determine the colours of the reverse lights. I'm unable to get a visual on both wires but one appears to be brown.

If both of these checks show you have voltage then I would say you need to check the harness where it passes from the body to the tailgate.
    Thanks for your assistance.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Hi there,

I've just discovered that the main wiring loom cable was cut clean through at some stage in the cars earlier life and the wires reconnected. It was stuffed away out of sight up in the roof recess.

All I need to do now is determine which wires have gone open circuit and make good. It looks rather like spagetti junction but I'm sure I'll be able to get it all up and running with 100% functionality.

Just to let you all know and thank you for your assistance. I soldered the broken wires together and taped up all exposed metal with insulation tape. Reversing lights and license plate lights are now fully functional.

If you put your mind to it you can do it!

Ciao.
    Last edited by BMWJOYMACHINE; 24-04-2010 at 15:00.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BMWJOYMACHINE For This Useful Post:

gildersol (23-04-2010)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12