1991 316i central locking problems?

Notices

Thread: 1991 316i central locking problems?

Reply to Thread
  1. 1991 316i central locking problems? 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chazz1981's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hello all, im new to the world of BMW, glad i got the car. 1991 316i, Red with full black leather interior. Nice car all round.

The only problem im finding with it is the central locking. I can undo the car from the passenger side and the car unlocks and then relocks, so i need to undo the passenger door one more time to unlock the car.

If i undo from the drivers side the driver door is the only door that undoes? cant even hear the central locking motor, so im thing it mite be the motor that runs the central locking from the driver and passenger side?

Any help would be great thanks, as i know when it comes to MOT time the car will fail on this.

cheers
    chazz

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chazz1981 View Post
    Hello all, im new to the world of BMW, glad i got the car. 1991 316i, Red with full black leather interior. Nice car all round.

The only problem im finding with it is the central locking. I can undo the car from the passenger side and the car unlocks and then relocks, so i need to undo the passenger door one more time to unlock the car.

If i undo from the drivers side the driver door is the only door that undoes? cant even hear the central locking motor, so im thing it mite be the motor that runs the central locking from the driver and passenger side?

Any help would be great thanks, as i know when it comes to MOT time the car will fail on this.

cheers
    chazz
    Sounds like the drivers side actuator(solenoid/motor) has packed up, not uncommon.

Also regarding your MOT, the door only has to open from the relevant mechanisms inside and outside the car, so if the tester opens your car from the inside then from the outside you will be fine. He will know to unlock it.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jayt25's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    as i said on another thread, and you are having the same problems a mate of mind had on his pug 306, so my reply to the last thread can work the same here

Quote Originally Posted by jayt25 View Post
    sometimes as the drivers door is the most used door on the car, the wires in the door gromets break and of corse break the circuit, however, sometimes the wire breaks inside the sleaving showing no signs from just looking that anything is wrong, so checking with a meter is needed