BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

passenger wiper blade

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  30csl 
#1 ·
Well I read up on wiper issues and it seemed two drivers windows were the answer. I tried this but the passenger wiper makes an awful noise and skips early on. Do I need to buy an extortionate ble wiper!?
Thanks, Rohan

#2 ·
im lost what you question its obviously wiper related but not ver clear

you on about the size?

get bosch aero wipers £25 cant go wrong with them good quality,easy to fit and last ages too

#8 ·
I think from the first post that i have the same symptoms. As the wiper starts from parked it jumps and misses the screen by around 100mm. i think its the pivot point that is worn and the wiper arm wobbles in the sweep of the blade. I have been considering if there would be a possibility of placing a verry thin circular tube insert to act a s a bush to take out the slack

#10 ·
E31 wipers have been the bane of my life, even the Bosch passenger one does not fit. ( complained directly with Bosch) I usually buy 2 sets and use the drivers on both and save the spare for another car (which it fits).
The work around is to file a grove in the arm, but I feel begrudged to bodge an obvious design problem :mad

#11 ·
I bought another driver Bosh wiper with the aerofoil etc and fitted that to the passenger side. Now the wipers sit better behind the bonnet but the passenger one makes a ridiculous racket when sweeping the screen. I have no idea what is wrong with it and am pretty sick of them. Has anyone bought a wiper from BMW for the passenger side?

Regards,

Rohan

#12 ·
I bought another driver Bosh wiper with the aerofoil etc and fitted that to the passenger side. Now the wipers sit better behind the bonnet but the passenger one makes a ridiculous racket when sweeping the screen. I have no idea what is wrong with it and am pretty sick of them. Has anyone bought a wiper from BMW for the passenger side?
Regards, Rohan
After fitting a new one I very much doubt its the blade. I know these are obvious, but have you put a known working blade on the passenger side? Is there any wax on the passenger window? Have you oiled all the moving parts?

#13 ·
I tried oiling the linkage per Timm's helpful guide but it didnt seem to make much difference. I have new batteries in the car. I may try polishing the window but it seems more to do with the sudden jolting action of the wiper arm. The car is 110k miles a lot of which is motorway and I would be surprised if the linkage was that worn.

#18 ·
Yes, that the usual fix if the blade is making a racket in ONE direction only - if that is the case, twist the wiper arm by holding the lower part of the arm with an adjustable spanner across the flat of the arm, and near the blade with another adjustable spanner. Looking from the top of the windscreen, if the wiper makes a noise when going from right to left move the upper spanner anti-clockwise to twist the arm slightly (needs a bit of a heave).

If the wiper makes a noise only when going from left to right, twist the upper spanner clockwise.

#21 ·
Well i looked at it again today and it appears my problem is not the wiper but in stead the pivot. The aluminium housing in which the wiper spindle rotates has brass bushes in it. The pivot is moving from wear in the housing so at first when the wiper moves the shaft moves and causes the noise when the wiper jumps up from the lateral play. I guess having gooled that the fix is removing the alumium frame and putting in new bronze bushes etc. Seems like a fairly big or annoying job. For those who dont have this problem i wouldgo in tho this and lubricate it really well to prevent it happening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.