1997 840ci banging noise from suspension when cold.

Notices

Thread: 1997 840ci banging noise from suspension when cold.

Reply to Thread
  1. 1997 840ci banging noise from suspension when cold. 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    k.j.mitch's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    840ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Had the car for little over a year now and had always noticed v. loud scraping noise from the tyres when I pull off my drive and turn a sharp right at low speed. It only happens in really cold weather when I first set off. I had at first put it down to wide tyres (245 35 19 's on scnitzer alloys) but it has now developed into quite a loud single bang, once again only when I first set off in cold weather.
    Yesterday I pulled off the drive and applied full lock and stopped just before the point it normally occurs, I got out of the car to take a look at the wheel and noticed the wheel had too much camber angle on it resultig in less than half the width of the tyre in contact with the ground. After seeing this I am now sure the scraping noise was the small amount of tread in contact with the ground being pushed along sideways. Could something be seizing up in the cold ie. ball joint, resulting in the strange camber angle and the loud bang is this seized joint releasing with the sideways force of the tyre acting on it.
    I have recently fitted new lower control arms, inner bushes on the upper control arms and stabiliser rods in order to fix a knocking noise when hitting manholes,potholes etc.
    I hope someone can advise because the local mechanics I've taken it too don't have a clue and I don't want to be taking it to the dealers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    NOS840's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    850i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I'm wondering if its worth having lazer alignment. It will cost 60-100. Most decent garages should have the equipment and once done my car drove like a dream.

The state of UK roads has a lot to answer for. Last year I won a claim against Surrey council for damage to my wheels and supesnsion. I had mine checked with lazer alignment and found it was way out, together with buckled wheels.
    Last edited by NOS840; 20-02-2012 at 16:46.
    Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD... you wanna hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences
    BFUK Nightshift Crew member

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    k.j.mitch's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    840ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    thanks for your quick reply. I had the wheels laser aligned two weeks ago when I changed the parts I mentioned and the car is okay apart from a little steering wheel wobble at 60-65 mph which I'm sure I'll sort out with balancing. Like I say the main problem is this banging which occurs only when first setting off in cold conditions.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    BMW 840ci's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    840ci | 525d | 530i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996 | 2003 | 2003
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic | Automatic | Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe | Saloon | Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by k.j.mitch View Post
    thanks for your quick reply. I had the wheels laser aligned two weeks ago when I changed the parts I mentioned and the car is okay apart from a little steering wheel wobble at 60-65 mph which I'm sure I'll sort out with balancing. Like I say the main problem is this banging which occurs only when first setting off in cold conditions.
    Sounds like you have "the dreaded shimmy" TM.

Here is Timm's site: BMW E31 50MPH - 60MPH SHIMMY

I hope that this helps!

BMW 840ci

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    e31gixxxer's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    840ci sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    steptronic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Hello
    If the alignment checked out ok I can't see how the camber is wrong. Have you tried locking the wheel the other way and see what it is like on the other side, it is probably correct.
    Have you got a broken spring, seized top mount giving the bang, or brake calliper/pad movement?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    84Tony's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    840ci sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    my car "klonks" when i havent used it for a while. the brakes seize on.its especially bad in this cold weather because of the salt on the roads. for the first half mile they scrape on the pads. i tend to drive with my foot slightly on the brake to clean the discs of surface rust, then everything is fine.

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Timm's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    840ci Sport Individual
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon and coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 84Tony View Post
    my car "klonks" when i havent used it for a while. the brakes seize on.its especially bad in this cold weather because of the salt on the roads. for the first half mile they scrape on the pads. i tend to drive with my foot slightly on the brake to clean the discs of surface rust, then everything is fine.
    Same here, If I haven't driven it for a couple of days I'll stick in reverse and nothing will happen. Then it will go 'bonk' and off we go - and there is the scraping sound for a while until the rust is removed from the disks.

1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport (Mora)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    k.j.mitch's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    840ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    I'm changing my pads and discs soon so fingers crossed. I'll give my springs and everything else a good look at whilst I'm doing the work. thanks for all the replies.