BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

handbrake adjustment on a E90

32K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  dailydoggy 
#1 ·
does anybody know how to adjust the handbrake on a bmw 320 E90 2006

#2 ·
Please can you edit your thread title to follow the forum rules - there is a link below my post showing you how to do this. Your thread title should read 2006 E90 320 - Handbrake Adjustment.

This should also be in the technical E90 section - I have moved it for you this time. :thumbsup

#4 ·
Here we go some real help!

Tools req

17/16 mm sockets
hammer
jack
6/7mm allen keys
flat screw driver

I did one wheel at once..

chock the front wheels,and take off the handbrake,once wheel nuts are loose
With the wheel off,i sprayed it inside and out with alloy wheel cleaner and left it.

Then its out with the allen bolt that holds the disc on,i was fortunate both mine had been copper greased and came out easy,I then undid the 2 7 mm allen bolts holding the caliper followed by the 2 16mm bolts holding the caliper retainer.

The drum came off after a few wallops from the side and a big pull over the shoes.
On inspection the shoe surface was pretty poor but as its only the handbrake that runs on this,more than good enough.I cleaned it up with a wire brush in a drill.

I then jet washed all under the arch off including the shoe area to get rid of the dust,also rinsed off the wheel.whenever i remove a wheel i like to have a good clean,its not often you get chance so best to make the most of it.

Then it was out with the pj1 black paint and sprayed the retaining bracket and pad clip after a run on the bench wire wheel.

i then had a play with the adjuster to see how it worked and where the hole needed to be.i marked the back plate on the outside edge so i could line the hole back up with the drum on.It must be pretty much a lottery trying to adjust these with the wheel on but im sure it could be done,but i think its always best to strip the brakes and check whats going on.
Any way the n/s adjust is up for tighten,o/s is down
I also gave the caliper a spray with pj1 when id built it back up as you can see these through the wheels when there on and does look better.

Greased everything up,although my copperslip evaded me

I adjusted the adjuster till it locked and backed it off just enough to allow the drum to move again,tried the handbrake and even after the one i knew it had worked.
When they were both done i think ive got about 3-4 clicks which is perfect.

Hope that helps a little ;)

#6 ·
an easier way is to do it let the hand brake off, remove one of the wheel bolts and turn the wheel untill you can see the adjuster. then with a long flat blade screw driver turn the adjuster untill the wheel locks. then back it off half a revolution of the adjuster do the same the other side and all done

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.