BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

e61 04 brakes fading

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  mjojom 
#1 · (Edited)
e61 04 brakes fading UPDATE: SORTED

Hi Guys,
I had this problem for a while now, but was flushing brake fluid today and I though it will do some difference; but it did not.
Basically, when driving and ill brake in continuous motion all its fine. If I depress pedal, let go, depress let go and after third time my brakes will feel very hard almost like I have to push the pedal my self without any electronic or vacuum aid. all get back to the normal after few seconds of driving, but if repeat same pattern with brake pedal it will be "fading" again. I have noticed car behaves same after starting, depress pedal on the start and keep pressing its okay, but if I start, let the brake pedal go and move and want to brake, its "fading" again.- and again after few seconds of driving itll return to normal. this is a bit of a problem in traffic or when need to maneuver in tight parking spaces.
any ideas?
ps: no error codes

#8 ·
Block the servo end or pump end off and suck the other end, then let the vacuum you have made by sucking stick your tongue to the pipe and wait, if the pipe stays stuck to you tongue for a 30 seconds or more, all is well, if not there is a leak somewhere. But primative but it works

#7 ·
It is very rare for the servo to fail as they are sealed units these days, back in the day when I owned BMW 02's they had twin servos with a breather filter that blocked up and trashed them. What you describe is just what I expereinced when the servos went on my 2002, trouble was as a student I couldn't afford the £500 for recon ones so just learn to drive with bad brakes... Which is why I alwasy buy manuals and always use the gears to slow down, can't break the habit of a life time

#9 ·
do you mean number #5 RealOEM.com   BMW E61 530d VACUUM PUMP WITH TUBES ?
I had hose off from the vacuum pump and suck in through and it did not hold at whole. ignition was fully off.
I have to say, would it be worthy to replace the whole thing with rubber hose (thick one). I beat to buy whole new thing from BM it would be costing an arm and leg, this way I can use clamps to interconnect the end connectors and "T" junction under EGR.

#10 ·
Update,
hi guys, did look around my engine bay today to tackle the brakes problem.
RealOEM.com   BMW E61 530d VACUUM PUMP WITH TUBES

if you have a look at the diagram, number 7 hose clip was original but not holding much. I could not pull the hose or it was not twisting that easy but I could see the oil being pushed out in small amounts. I have replaced the original clip and whoa, what a difference! I have never had my brakes working so well! I literally have to relearn to brake cos they are very sensitive now.
Well, there you go, not split but small give in clip and it was making massive difference! .

thank you all for your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.