Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-...-Explained.pdf

one more

Looks like "Super DOT 4" fluid is the way to go, has the highest boiling point of all fluids, can absorb water and mixes with normal DOT 4 so no rebuilding/flushing of the ABS and brake system required...............

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    ragtop steve's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 530D & F07 535D GT
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006 & 2012
    Transmission Type:
    manual & Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon & Hatchback
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kwempe View Post
    I'll also add your whole system needs a thorough flush as DOT 5 and DOT 4 are not supposed to be mixed and generally it is not considered suitable for cars with ABS brakes!.........

DOT 5.1, which I admit I confused with DOT 5 is actually a PAG, not silicon fluid so should be safe. Apparently, in the US it is manditory to label DOT 5 as silicon based and print a warning about its uses on the bottle

brake fluids

DOT 5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DOT 5.1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks for that, i am sure it was Dot 5.1 i used (But i am going to check now) and i did it when i had my calipers of, so drained the system and filled it up after fitting every thing back on the car and then bleed the breaks. But the bit about "not suitable for cars with ABS brakes" I need to look in to......

BMW its an addiction, Its a drug

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ragtop steve For This Useful Post:

kwempe (26-03-2012)

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    kwempe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d e60
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtop steve View Post
    Thanks for that, i am sure it was Dot 5.1 i used (But i am going to check now) and i did it when i had my calipers of, so drained the system and filled it up after fitting every thing back on the car and then bleed the breaks. But the bit about "not suitable for cars with ABS brakes" I need to look in to......
    A bit more net trawling and, hopefully, you won't have put DOT5 (silicon) fluid in your car. It appears to be quite difficult to buy in the UK except on the internet and Motorcycle shops. Most of the reading I have done relates to it being incompatible with ABS due to it's lesser lubricity and higher aeration inside the ABS while operating and it is coloured purple or blue to discourage users from mixing it with normal brake fluid.

It is also more compressible than normal fluid and is recommended in show cars and motorbikes purely because it does not damage painwork.

Super DOT4 appears to be the best because not only does it have a very high boiling point but the viscosity is correct too.
    DOT 5.1 (note the .1) won't damage your system, will mix with normal fluids and requires no special flushing or cleaning of your system so if that is the brew that you used, all is good with the world!

6. Low Viscosity Brake Fluid 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jas1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 525d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6 Speed Manual (Has to be!)
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi guys
    This is just a heads up really. I know this thread is a year old. So this is really for people coming across it for the first time, like I did..

I'd just like to add that BMW requires we use a 'Low Viscosity' brake fluid. Such as this one, as an example.
    (Plus it shows the advantages of using a Low Viscosity fluid over Dot 4 and even Dot 5.1)

ATE SL.6 Brake Fluid: (Please Click Link on the underlined sentence below)

ATE -Our Featured Product for Electronic Brake Systems

Might be worth checking on the back of the bottle you want to buy, to see if it mentions "Low Viscosity". Hope someone finds this usefull!

Cheers

PS. I'm not plugging that particular Brand! It was good to use as an example. Other brands will have similar performance. This is why BMW specifies Low Viscos'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12