e46 handbrake adjustment troubles

Notices
 

Thread: e46 handbrake adjustment troubles

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. e46 handbrake adjustment troubles 
    #1
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jam316's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Hi, the HB on my car has been crap since I bought it but I thought it would just need adjusting.
    So, following advice on the forum I did just that.
    It felt OK with the rear in the air, but on the ground the HB is just as bad as it was.

    I have noticed that there is a small amount of rocking when the HB is on and if I go to move in 1st or reverse. It's like there is play before the HB grips, although there is no grip to speak of.

    I tried to get the disc off, got the retaining allen bolt out, but the disc seems to be well stuck on. Even hitting it with a mallet didn't budge it.

    I think I need to get into the HB workings, something must be wrong in there, but I've never had a problem with getting a disc of any cars before, so is there something I've missed?
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    Moderator
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    matthew_henson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Forest Of Dean
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanks
    904
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jam316 View Post

    I tried to get the disc off, got the retaining allen bolt out, but the disc seems to be well stuck on. Even hitting it with a mallet didn't budge it.

    I think I need to get into the HB workings, something must be wrong in there, but I've never had a problem with getting a disc of any cars before, so is there something I've missed?
    There are little adjusters inside the "drum" you need a good touch and flat head screwdriver to unwind them through one of the wheel nut holes, then you can get the disk off. The more you bash the more lilkely you are to trash them. as I remember on the offside they are located at 1pm and the nearside at 11pm. You also need to undo the cables inside the HB handle cover.

    The HB actuators tend to fail but sometimes a good clean and new disks will fix it, when you pult them back together tighten the adjusters I mentioned above until the disk is locked and then pull them back two clicks, the disk should turn again.

    Then park on a hill and tighten the bolts under the HB handle cover so you have about 4 clicks to engage the HB. if you let the car roll back a little and then pull on the HB you will know which side engages more as it will drop down. Adjust so that both side dip at the same time
     
     

  4.  
    #3
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jokiemay's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    u sure the handbrake is off when your tring to remove the disk
     
     

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6.  
    #4
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jam316's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Cheers matthew
    I did adjust the shoes by using the screwdriver method.

    I clicked the adjuster back up so the wheel wouldn't turn but clicked it back 10 clicks as I read on the web, not 2 as you suggest. I may have slackened it off too much then.

    I still think the weird rocking will still be there though, so i will need to get into the workings to see what it is.

    May be it's just really seized on?
     
     

  7.  
    #5
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jam316's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokiemay View Post
    u sure the handbrake is off when your tring to remove the disk
    It was off alright, the wheel could be turned by hand.
     
     

  8.  
    #6
    Moderator
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    matthew_henson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Forest Of Dean
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanks
    904
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jam316 View Post
    Cheers matthew
    I did adjust the shoes by using the screwdriver method.

    I clicked the adjuster back up so the wheel wouldn't turn but clicked it back 10 clicks as I read on the web, not 2 as you suggest. I may have slackened it off too much then.

    I still think the weird rocking will still be there though, so i will need to get into the workings to see what it is.

    May be it's just really seized on?
    sounds like it is seized, did you undo the nuts on the end of the cables at the HB handle all the way? if you do that and push them it can sometimes release the mechanism. Trouble is if they have siezed up in the past and worn the inside of the disk down, you get a ridge that brakes shoes won't go over.

    Did you slacken the adjuster all the way back? Also ignore the 10 clicks thing as it relates to nothing, you could have tightened it up really tight and 10 clicks will still not be enough. Best way is pull of the HB on and off a few time to line up the shoes, then tighten the adjusters until it grips then unwind them until it just stops gripping, in my case it was two clicks, for you it could be 10.
     
     

  9.  
    #7
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jam316's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The nuts at the handle end were loosened right off, but as you say, 10 clicks was too much I think. It's hard to count exact clicks, as it it doesn't actually click, well mine doesn't.

    Even if I get the HB working firmly, I'm bothered by the odd rocking and clonking noise that occurs when I tested the HB firmness in 1st and reverse gear, so would like to get in there to see what's what.

    If there is nothing else that holds it on except the allen screw, it seems the disc is seized to the hub, although I find this hard to believe as I have found a EuroParts receipt, with all the paperwork I got with the car, for handbrake shoes dated March 2011.
    I presume they were fitted as one of the recent MOTs mention the poor HB and if so the disc would have to have been removed... hmm.
     
     

  10.  
    #8
    Moderator
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    matthew_henson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Forest Of Dean
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanks
    904
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jam316 View Post
    The nuts at the handle end were loosened right off, but as you say, 10 clicks was too much I think. It's hard to count exact clicks, as it it doesn't actually click, well mine doesn't.

    Even if I get the HB working firmly, I'm bothered by the odd rocking and clonking noise that occurs when I tested the HB firmness in 1st and reverse gear, so would like to get in there to see what's what.

    If there is nothing else that holds it on except the allen screw, it seems the disc is seized to the hub, although I find this hard to believe as I have found a EuroParts receipt, with all the paperwork I got with the car, for handbrake shoes dated March 2011.
    I presume they were fitted as one of the recent MOTs mention the poor HB and if so the disc would have to have been removed... hmm.
    Will the disk move at once the allen screw is removed, normally once everything is loosened off and the screw removed the disk should be quite loose to move about. Perhaps it is siezed on to the hub? I always put a thin smear of copper ease on everything, I had an AA man use a sledge hammer to get an alloy off my old E36 many years ago so lesson learnt.

    How hard have you hit it !!!

    As for the clonking noises, sounds like something has broken in there although my rear suspension makes lots of noises, a sign of age ;-)
     
     

  11.  
    #9
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1997
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    shamM3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,071
    Thanks
    950
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,391 Posts
    You'll need to hammer the disc off evenly by spinning it at the same time. It looks like you know how to adjust the handbrake so I won't repeat that. Just make sure you grease up the sliding things the handbrake cable goes into (I've forgotten the name) its a common problem on the e36 and e46.

    The rock you mention before it bites is absolutely normal
     
     

  12.  
    #10
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jam316's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    2001
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Cheers chaps, not sure about the rock being normal, but if it is, then less to worry about.

    I'll be having another bash at it on the w/e.
     
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts