BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E36 Springs and Dampers?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  jimf671 
#1 ·
I am starting to work on the set-up of my E36 318. I am not a power-monger. I usually mod every car I own but its always suspension and brakes. Lowered set-ups are no use to me.

Can anyone direct me to a comprehensive set of info about springs and dampers?

I am surprised there is not clearer information on any forums, here or elsewhere, about the various standard set-ups, spring dimensions, damper setting, bushes, strut spacers and so on.

(Anyone got a set of 320 or 323 E36 front springs lying around? Standard or M.)

#2 ·
I personally would not buy used/2nd hand springs/shocks. Why pay for such components that are likely to be worn as yours :confused

Both the standard and M-tech units are available very inexpensively from the likes of eurocarparts and GFSCP!

#3 ·
I personally would not buy used/2nd hand springs/shocks. Why pay for such components that are likely to be worn as yours :confused
There is a name for a used spring: TESTED.

Both the standard and M-tech units are available very inexpensively from the likes of eurocarparts and GFSCP!
So what are people buying? Do they care? Probably not by the look of things.

I have a rough idea what spring rates I want. The next problem is finding out the rate of the springs on sale: often not easy. Oops, now I need to know the dimesions as well, so that I can calculate which 6-cylinder front springs to fit on my 4-cylinder car to maintain standard ride height (this is not a city car). All set up in MathCAD for calculating this stuff.

Rear dampers: not really a problem, as the spring rate will hardly change and one of the standard items will be fine.

Front dampers: I cannot be sure which ones are right because neither BMW nor the aftermarket suppliers discuss settings. Most of their setting may be a bit off-target for me since my unsprung weight will be lower than most would expect but the spring will be about double the standard rate.

(i HAVE thought about this)

#4 ·
No clue how you will get the info you require about spring rates, but IIRC, Demon Tweeks have a custom spring section, where by the springs are either made or ready off the shelf in various sizes and rates - may be worth popping them an email.

#11 ·
Ride height is one of the big issues for me. I have had short springs at the rear for a few months and they have given the car a nice secure feel when it settles into a corner. Unfortunately, the ride height is too low for some of the wickedly fun places this car is driven (oops) and I need to return it to standard height. I may just fit standard springs or an M-tech spring with an extra spacer.

The front needs about double the standard rate while retaining the standard height. There is nothing like this sitting on a shelf. I may be able to achieve this with a cut spring from a standard 6-cylinder spec but I shall have no idea until I have the spring dimensions and do the calculations. The alternative is to get the springs made but I know from past experience that you have to very sure about what you want or you end up the wrong spring and no chance of your money back.

If anyone has a E36 320/323 front spring lying in their shed could they run a ruler over it for me? Outside diameter, wire diameter, free length and total number of coils are the basics. (Wire diameter accurate as possible.)

I see from the recent threads, especially here, but also on other boards, that I am definitely not the only one looking for a "comprehensive set of info about springs and dampers".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.